What is the Best Way to Correct my Tubular Breasts?

Hello, I am 20 years old and have tubular breasts. I want them to be corrected and I want as much information as possible before I make the decision to do so. My goal is simply to have round breasts that look normal. I dont want anything huge, I just want to look healthy and find comfort in my own skin. I have wanted breast implants for over 2 years but I figured I would wait to see if anything would change but nothing has. Please help!

Tuberous Breast Correction

+4
Thanks for the questions and photo. Classic tuberous breast deformity involves a narrow breast that can also have a longer skin envelope allowing the areola to point downward. The areola are very puffy from herniated breast tissue within and usually large.

The best treatment involves a periareolar approach to release the constricted base. A dual plane augmentation is used for implant placement and a periareolar lift diminishes areolar size and flattens the herniation. This can be achieved in a single surgery and give a pleasing natural result that you'll be very happy with.

Hope that helps and good luck going forward!

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts can be corrected

+2

You have a condition that is not rare.  Tuberous comes from  "tuber", resembling the stem from a potato, because the breasts have a narrow, constricted appearance with a prominent areola containing most of the breast tissue.

Breast implants can greatly improve your appearance, but it is important to consider stretching or expanding the soft tissues to create a more normal breast appearnce, including releasing the tissues from inside to allow the spreading, and generally some reduction of the areolar diameter.

Sometimes it is best to consider a staged procedure with initial expansion then a second stage implant placement.

Finally, both saline filled and silicone filled implants can be utilized.

Consult with a local plastic surgeon to discuss yor options.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts can have nice correction with surgery

+2

Hi Freedom,

I glad you have some thought to this issue and that you waited until you were a little bit older to have the surgery.  Thanks for sending the photo.  It helps a lot.  Most patients with tuberous breast need several things addressed and you appear to be the same.  First the fold under the breast needs to be lowered a bit, an implant is used for volume, the breast parencyma is released so it is not tight and a small lift is done,usually with the areola made a smaller diameter.  With these steps, you can have a pretty result.  You do not need a large implant to get a good result.  However, in terms of implants, the tear drop or anatomical implants are excellent for this type of issue.  Both Allergan and Mentor have silicone teardrop implants available through studies.  I know that Allergan's study allows patients who are age 18 or older.  Allergan also has a saline anatomic (tear drop) implant which might be good for you.  Both companies can refer you to plastic surgeons who are participating in their studies.  Other implants are nice as well but the teardrop has a good shape for tuberous breasts.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1
The goal of tuberous breast correction is to create a more rounded, regular shape and decrease large areola and large nipples, if necessary. Ideal breasts are comprised of evenly distributed tissue while tuberous breasts are characterized by tissue that is concentrated directly underneath the protruding nipples, which you appear to have. Because of this, a common treatment technique involves releasing this constricted breast tissue by making internal radial incisions that allow it to splay out properly. These incisions are done internally so you don't see anything externally. In most cases I will suggest the placement of an implant, typically in the sub-mammary position to better influence the breast’s shape and to add greater volume. If excess or sagging skin is present, I may recommend performing a breast lift as part of the procedure as well, however you may not require one.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

What is the best way to correct my tubular breasts?

+1
Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a tuberous breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tuberous Breasts and Implants?

+1

Thank you for your question and picture.

Your picture demonstrates breast ptosis along with constriction/tuberous anomaly.

Tuberous breasts  generally have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary.

You should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that you will need to be patient.

The incision is usually confined to around the nipple/areola and may require a vertical/horizontal incision (in some cases) as well. The procedure involves making internal incisions to release the tight breast tissues, making a larger space for an implant, rounding out the lower breast crease, and correcting enlarged and protruding areola.  The space between the breasts ( cleavage area)  can be decreased with the use of implants as well.

Make sure that your surgeon has experience with this specific procedure and is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Surgical options for tuberous constricted breasts

+1

The traditional approach is circumareolar reduction with radial relaxing incisions with dual plane approach and submuscular placement of conservatiive sized round smooth silicone implants. Fat grafting is emerging as a new option.

Tubular breast correction

+1

There is no model or consensus of what constitutes a tubular breast and what is the best way to correct it. In your particular case demonstrated by photos, I would agree with the term tubular breasts. Fortunately they are fairly symmetric and have a reasonable chance at correction that will stay relatively symmetric through breast changes later in life. 

After reviewing my own experience and that of others over many years, I recommend a two stage approach with a properly fitted and performed breast augmentation using an inframammary crease incision at the proper level and releasing and filling out the lower pole of the breast. After this has settled (minimum three months but could be longer), I would evaluate and consider an external approach to correct the nipple-areola level. This take the form of some type of peri-areolar mastopexy to flatten and bring in the sub-areolar area while reducing the areolar diameter. 

Think of it as two problems -- the base width and volume fill, and the surface and sub-areolar area of the breast. It's difficult to do them both at the same time and get the balance right plus the implant should be entirely separated from the breast tissue and peri-areolar incision. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Correcting the tubular breast deformity

+1

The tubular breast deformity involves a drooping nipple, a fold under the breast  which is too high and a lack of volume.  This deformity can be quite psychologically devastating.  To correct the tubular breast requires a releas of the fold to make it lower and increase the width of the breast, placing an implant under the pectoralis muscle and releasing the constricted breast itself.  This correction can be quite liberating both psychologically and for fitting clothing.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Tuberous breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts are very difficult to correct and may need more than one operation to achieve a good shape.  It often requires widening of the base of the breast due to a tight skin enevelope and also imploding the nipple areola complex to correct the herniated tissue.