How Would You Correct my Tuberous Breasts?

I'm pretty sure I have tuberous breasts and was wondering what would be done to correct it? Would I need a lift? Scoring of the constricted tissue? Both? I'd also want implants.

Tuberous breast augmentation

+1

Tuberous breasts tend to be narrow at the base and are overly projecting for their size, and this phenomenon may occur on one or both sides. In its mildest form, the lower pole of the breast is underdeveloped or may even appear constricted - sometimes referred to as a 'constricted lower pole'. In severe cases the breast is conical in shape and is sometimes described by the patient as looking like a 'torpedo' or a 'Snoopy dog'. Regardless of the degree of tuberosity, it is possible to dramatically improve the appearance of the tuberous breast during augmentation surgery using a number of specialized surgical techniques.
Many patients with severely tuberous breasts have said that they have never removed their bra in an intimate setting. Careful patient assessment, thoughtful planning and attention to detail during the surgical procedure can produce a dramatic and life-changing improvement for most patients with tuberous breasts.
Start by looking at many before and after photos of plastic surgeons who have had success in correction of tuberous breasts.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1

You do indeed appear to have a tuberous or constricted breast on the left side. The nipple/areola is at the bottom of the breast and the inframammary fold (where the bottom of the implant would lie) appears to be higher than on the right side. These are not always easy to correct, but we commonly get nice results.  It does require lowering of the left inframammary fold so the level of it (and of the implant) is symmetrical with the right side. The lower pole of the breast needs to be "expanded" and made to "forget" its old fold location...this is done by scoring the breast tissue from the inside and allowing the implant to "expand" into the new lower pole of the breast.  The nipple area looks like it will still be too low and a lift (probably periareolar or "circular" lift) would need to be done at least on the left side for symmetry.  If you go to a surgeon who has experience with treating these problems, you should get a good result. Good luck!

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Correcting the not so tuberous breast

+1

Looking at your photos you do not have what we consider a tuberous breast, as the nipple is not constricted at the base and 'herniated'. Your breasts are just asymmetric, sisters and not twins. As the envelope or shape of the skin is different right to left, breast augmentation will work well though the implant size may need to differ to adjust for volume difference. Submuscular implants would be best, forget about 'scoring' the tissue. Finally a lift is needed on one side to bring up the nipple and center it over the implant.

peterejohnsonmd

Correcting tuberous breasts

+1

From your photo, you'll most likely need to have a breast lift with an implant for both breasts.  Breast implants will give you extra volume to fill out your breasts with improved cleavage.  The lift will help to reduce the diameter or your areolae as well as making the breasts more symmetric.  The entire procedure can be done as an outpatient with minimal downtime and discomfort.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Surgery for tuberous breasts

+1

The single view photo you posted limits full analyis of your situation so one cannot say exactly what needs to be done. The photo show a small horizontally oriented right breast with the breast tissue centered below the level of the nipple. The nipple areola complex looks like it is protruding outward (hard to tell in this view). The left droops downward more ore so the nipple is shifted downward and outward relative to the right. The left breast has a different, more tuberous shape. The inframammary fold levels are not discernable in the photo but I suspect the left fold is at a higher level than the right. The volume of each breast looks similar but their shapes are very different.

Given that starting point you cannot just put breast implants in and hope for a good looking result. You will need a skin procedure to make the nipple positions more symmetric. Then something has to be done to the breast tissue under the skin so they will lie over the implants in a similar manor (scoring the base on the left and possibly barrel staving the upper half on the right). If the left fold is higher it will have to be lowered down to the level of the right fold. Then you have to pick an implant size and shape. It is hard to tell from the photos but you may need a slightly different sized implant on each side in order to make the end result more symmetric. If the under the skin work is quite extensive it can be safer to do the skin level work at a later second staged surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tuberous breast correction

+1

Hi, you would need scoring of the breast tissue, and implants would also allow the tissue to spread out more aesthetically.  The nipple-areolar complexes would also need to be reduced, which would give a "lifted" appearance to the breasts as well.  I suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience with correction of the tuberous breast, as this is a challenging problem.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

You will need lift

+1
Your breast are presenting multiple issues. The first issue is the asymmetry. The second one is the lack of soft tissue. The next one is nipple position and tubular breast. If you get lift in one side ,you breasts will sag different. I treat breasts like yours with fat grafting and breast lift at first stage and more fat grafting or implant at second stage. This approach is more complex but results are more predictable.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

+1

Although  your breasts,particularly the left (anatomic left as it showsup on the screen), might be categorized astuberous or constricted, the surgical apporach is, in reality, no different that other breasts. That is, your surgeon has to make an anatomic analysis of your breasts, determine with you what your goals are, and then devise a customized procedure that will satisfiy your goals as closely as possible with minimal risks. I suspect that this will take some form of lift to normalize the shape of the breast and the position and size of the nipple-arolar complex.But it might also include some sor tosreduction, perhaps even asymmetrically, to even out the shape and size of the breasts, and then possibly implants to achieve the size you want. It is not uncommon for me to use a variation of asymmetrical reduction-augmentation-mastopexy.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Fixing tuberous breasts

+1

Dear Mari,

Tuberous breasts can be mild, moderate or severe in characteristics.You probably fall into the moderate category. It is apparent to me that you have a constricted base of the breast tissue and herniation of the breast tissue through your areola area. In my extensive experience with tuberous breasts, I believe that doing both procedures ( donut Mastopexy and extensive scoring of the breast tissue) along with an implant will correct your problem. The two procedures will provide you with the most optimum result.

Dr. Lille

Sean T. Lille, MD

Congenital tuberous, or consricted breast deformity

+1

surgical reconstruction of this congenital deformity is challenging. I would suggest you go to someone experienced in this deformity. Generally, correction of this requires multiple techniques including a peri-aerolar mastopexy to correct  the herniation of breast tissue through the aerola. It usually also requires scoring of the base of the breast tissue to allow expansion and relaxation of the breast tissue. Implants are usually required for lack of original breast tissue.

Good luck

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon