How to Correct Thin, Sagging Skin on Mid to Low Neck Area? (photo)

The skin on my mid to lower neck is very saggy. It does not match the skin on my face. Why is this? What is the best treatment to firm the skin. Is there a neck lift? I will do anything and go anywhere to correct this.

Lower Face and Neck Lift

+1

Loose Skin in the neck can be elevated during a face and neck lift and the redundant skin removed from the incision lines.

Neck lift will improve lower neck skin.

+1

Hi.

The wrinkled skin needs to be re draped upward and backward and then removed.  The only way to do this is with a neck lift.

Neck Lift

+1

The only way to improve the sagging skin on your neck, is a face/neck lift.  The excess skin will need to be excised for the desired result. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your expectations and concerns. Good luck to you!

How to correct thin sagging skin of the neck

+1

A neck lift only tightens the muscle and removes fat, it does not address any skin removal in the neck.  The only way to remove excess skin is with a lower face/neck lift.  A lower face/neck lift is the required operation to rejuvenate the neck by tightening skin, muscle, and removing any residual fat at the same time. The incisions for this are inside and behind the ears, and place with in the temporal hairline.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com/photogallery/facelift_photos28.html#

Surgery then laser

+1

Patty

This issue is probably the #1 cosmetic concern I see in my clinic. When I see this loose skin in the lower neck I like to take a two step approach. First I think a deep plane neck lift (different from a standard lift) allows me to reposition the muscles and deeper structures. This help create a more taut base for the skin to re-drape over. Then about 1-2 months later I begin a series of laser treatments to further tighten and smooth the tissues.

Its always best to be seen in person to be evaluated but I hope that the information above is helpful to you in understanding my approach.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saggy skin in the neck

+1

Patty

As more opinions pour in, you will see two basic concepts.  One is that the skin of the neck is influenced by the underlying platysma muscle, and therefore attempts to reposition the platysma via a necklift or facelift will be valuable.  That's the basis for rejuvenating the neck (as well as jowls and midface), especially in patients who show that dominant set of anterior bands that create those two cords running down the middle of the neck.  You picture does not show that as the primary problem.

The second concept is that the thin skin of the neck can lose it's inherent elasticity, creating a dry, hanging, inelastic look to the skin.  That looks more like what you have going on.  The reason it often shows up first in the neck is because the neck skin is thinner, and lacking some of the structures that are more prevalent in face skin. Truthfully there is no surgery in the world that can pull the skin so tight with a necklift or facelift to totally restore a more taught and elastic drape to the skin surface.  Lifts might help, but patients tend to still be bothered by the persistent skin surface.  This leaves a couple of tools to try to improve the skin, all of which we have here in the office.  One is skin tightening technologies using ultrasound or radiofrequency or infrared energy to try a non surgical tightening.  All helpful, but not so much that it would return to normal, and not to a degree of change comparable to a surgery. The other is any form of skin resurfacing, whether it be chemical peel, laser, or fractionated laser resurfacing.  All have pros and cons, but help to tighten the skin to differing degrees as well.  Of course you can do combination treatments or sequential treatments to accentuate the final results too.  

The key to matching technology to expectation is communication.  Just make sure that you fully understand what each surgery or technology is going to do, and not do, since there is no single modality that resolves what your picture implies.  

Web reference: http://robertsonplasticsurgery.com

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

What options are available for a sagging neck?

+1

Nonsurgical options for a sagging lower neck include Ultherapy and CO2 laser  resurfacing.  Because these are skin level treatments, they will not address problems  such as platysmal bands and jowling. Neck lifts are great for addressing the jowls and the bands and do an excellent job of rejuvenating the upper neck. For the mid to lower neck, you tends to not  see as good of results.

I would recommend that you seek someone who can offer all three of these treatments to help you select the best one in your situation.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can I fix my sagging neck?

+1

From the picture that you provided it appears that a neck lift would most effectively address the sagging muscle and skin in your neck. This typically entails a small incision under the chin as well as incisions behind the ears. The muscle is then anchored both on the sides and in the midline and provides a nicely defined chin and jawline. If you also have sagging jowls, then a facelift may be a necessary addition to the procedure to ensure you get the results you are looking for. These procedures can be done under local anesthetic, conscious sedation, or general anesthesia. Get multiple opinions from qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeons.

How to correct sagging neck

+1

From the picture there appears to be looseness of the skin and underlying platysma.  If this is the only area of concern an isolated neck lift will work well.  This involves an incision in back of the ear and extending a little way into the natural creases in front of the ear.  If there is looseness along the jaw border, then a neck and jaw border lift will help.  These procedures can be done under local anesthesia, IV sedation, or a light general anesthetic, as determined by your preference and medical history.  I discuss these issues in greater detail in the facial section of my website Johnqcookmd.com.

How to Correct Thin, Sagging Skin on Mid to Low Neck Area?

+1

Because the sagging skin extends the entire length of the neck, from the chin to the clavicle, a full Neck Lift would be required to tighten this area effectively.  Topical treatments (Lasers, etc.) won't work IMO.  Because the excess skin is lifted up and back, during a Neck Lift, some form of minimal incision Face Lift will be required to avoid pleating of the skin in front of the earlobes.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/PalmerCelebrityLift.html