What Can Be Done to Correct the Shape of my Nostrils? (photo)

Since I was a kid, I've always picked at my nose and touched my nostrils. I feel like I've really stretched the left nostril and now my two nostrils aren't symmetrical. And, even if I didn't stretch either nostril, I still feel as if the shape of my nostrils isn't right. What type of procedure would have to be done to correct the shape and make both nostrils symmetrical?

Correcting nostril shape

+1

Your nostrils do not appear to be too large and only slightly  asymmetrical. You would achieve the most natural result addressing the nose as a whole rather than just the nostrils . Changing the bridge, boney width and tip will not only give you a natural appearance it will also change the shape and size of the nostrils.  The nostrils may also need to be narrowed depending on their proportion with the rest of your face and nose.  An open approach allows more control and a greater ability to shape the tip if needed. Good luck with your decision.

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty to reshape the nose

+1

Your nostrils appear to be symmetrical, yet small in diameter compare to the tip composition. Reduction in tip bulbosity and nasal bone width would bring a nice harmony to your nasal features; this will take care of your nostrils shape as well. Find a board certified surgeon who specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty. Good luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

What Can Be Done to Correct the Shape of my Nostrils?

+1

The shape of the nose and the nostrils can be improved with a closed rhinoplasty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nostril shape

+1

I actually think you have pretty good symmetry of your nostrils. The size of the nostrils can be reduced by cutting out a segment of the nostril where is meets the cheek. This is called an alar wedge resection. When done well the scars are invisible and it can compensate for asymmetry if it is present.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Nasal tip surgery and nostril shape

+1

take these comments with a grain of salt since we are not performing a physical exam here but a couple of things:

1  your appearto have broad nasal bones and generous tip cartilage.

2 If you performed surgery for tip refinement you will have secondary changes to the shape of your nostrils over time

3  I wouldn't be too aggressive with the tip changes because over time this can change the appearance of the nose and the nostrils significantly

4 don't get too hung up on nostril shapes and size as these are difficult to address primarily and everyone has asymmetry of the nostrils

best of luck

Chase Lay MD

double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

+1

Some nostril asymmetry is normal, but certainly alterations in the nostril size can be performed with surgery.

Nostril shape

+1

There are various methods available to change the shape of the nostrils- which one is best depends on your anatomy. Sometimes what seems like a "nostril problem" is more related to the shape and width of the tip.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Shape of Nostrils

+1

There is minimal asymmetry but the shape of the nostrils can be improved with a limited tip-plasty to narrow your tip and the base of your nose which will decrease the flair of your nostrils.

Nostril + nasal tip shape

+1

What I see from the photos is a wide nasal tip with minimal nostril asymmetry. See a surgeon + get imaged. then you can decide the best way to balance the nostrils

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon