How to Fix Dent Across Bridge of Nose After Rhinoplasty Left by Swim Goggles?

Years ago, I had "finesse rhinoplasty sculpting" with a NYC surgeon. 3 months after surgery I resumed swimming. The goggles left a depression in the cartilage across the upper bridge of my nose. I notice this dent every time I'm in a bathroom with direct overhead lighting. I assume a corrective surgery could easily fix it. The right tip of my nose is 3 mm higher/uneven than left. (Since birth; nothing to do with rhinoplasty.) Could alar cartilage be harvested from my right nose tip for a graft?

Fixing contour depression

+1

The contour depression can be filled with a temporary filler or a small cartilage graft placed through an internal approach.  Correction of your tip asymmetry may not be a simple task

Dent Across Nasal Bridge

+1

Your dent can be corrected with a revatively minor revision. It may or may not be necessary to remove tip cartilage to improve your asymmetrical tip during the same procedure. Follow your surgeon's recommendations regarding the use of any excised tip cartilage to fill the dent.

Fillers for Rhinoplasty Irregularity

+1

Depressions after rhinoplasty can be managed by a revision surgery if severe, or soft tissue fillers if these are subtle.  Anything from Restylane to Radiesse to Artefill or even silicone can be useful for this problem.  You need to find a physician who has experience with fillers in the nose as they behave differently than in the sift tissues of the face.

If your tip cartilages are off by 3 mm, I would recommend considering a revision surgery as this is quite significant from a symmetry perspective.  A photo would be very helpful in providing more definitive information.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Dent of the nose

+1

You need to see a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON for examination and discuss your options.

Fillers are possible but SILICONE is not FDA approved and may result in chronic granulomas, That can be difficult to treat.

Dent of nose

+1

It is difficult to offer suggestions without seeing photos or examiing you.  The upper 1/3 of the nose is bone and this dent may be unrelated.  As for the alar asymmetry, you may need a graft.

The dent across the bridge of your nose may be improved with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty treatment.

+1

If you have a visible indentation across the bridge of your nose, this may respond well to an Injectable Filler treatment. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000 for permanent results. Feel free to email your photo along with a description, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon