How to Correct Small but Persistent Dog Ears on Forehead?

I had a dermatofibroma removed from my forehead, and it left small but visible dog-ears. I have read that small dog ears can go away with time, but I've now waited a year with no improvement. Is there still any chance they'll subside on their own? If not, would dermabrasion be an option, to sand down the excess skin and make it level with the scar? Or is it simply best to re-open the scar and extend it? The scar is about 12mm long, the dog ears are ~5mm wide with maybe a couple mm protrusion.

Scar revision for dog ears.

+2

By one year, if your dog ears hadn't disappeared, they will be permanent without intervention. My recommendation would be to excise these areas using local anesthesia. The total length of your scar will increase but if performed precisely, the final appearance should be an improvement over what you have right now.

Scar Treatment: Common Questions

+2
The question you ask is a very good and patient one. Your scar is considered mature at this stage and the best cosmetic outcome is obtained through excision and scar modification. I would recommend seeing a surgeon who specialty involves the treatment of the face for your best possible outcome.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

SCAR REVISIONS - FOREHEAD

+2

Scar excision  & revision is your only option if you are at least one year out from surgery and it still bothers you.

Dermabrasion in not an option for correcting dog ears. 

Keep in mind that the scar revision will elongate the existing scar and if done incorrectly  or undercorrected may result in another dog ear.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears at 1 Year on Forehead

+2

At a year, the scar is unlikely to improve further.  The forehead generally heals exceptionally well because scars can be placed in relaxed skin tension lines parallel to the horizontal lines of motion. Scar revision (excision) is probably your best option at this point.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small but Persistent Dog Ears on Forehead

+2

A photo would haver been of GREAT help! But I guess the better plan is surgery to remove the dog ear but remember the scar will be longer. 

Skin excess

+2

At one year, I believe your result will change little.  Dermabrasion is unlikely to correct something as large as 5mm.  Your skin excess will likely require scar revision.  A downside is that I believe the area will look worse following excision before better.  And dog ear excision will likely lengthen the incision slightly.

For a more detailed answer, please post a pic.  Good luck

Jason R. Hess, MD

Fixing dog ears

+2

At one year, your result will not change any more so you need a scar revision to fix the dog ears.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Dogears after 1 year are what they are

+2

I don't think your scar or dogears will change much at this point, one year after your original procedure.  I would likely recommend re-excision.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Dog ear scars

+2

If you have dog ears form a previous excision and they have not gone away at 1 year, then you certainly are probably a candidate for dog ear revision.

Correcting one year old Persistent Dog Ears on Forehead

+2

Regarding: "How to Correct Small but Persistent Dog Ears on Forehead?
I had a dermatofibroma removed from my forehead, and it left small but visible dog-ears. I have read that small dog ears can go away with time, but I've now waited a year with no improvement. Is there still any chance they'll subside on their own? If not, would dermabrasion be an option, to sand down the excess skin and make it level with the scar? Or is it simply best to re-open the scar and extend it? The scar is about 12mm long, the dog ears are ~5mm wide with maybe a couple mm protrusion
."

By a year's time the scar has matured and it is unlikely that it will change much. A scar revision will not need to involve the whole length of the scar and will smooth the dog ear prominences MUCH nicer and with a superior scar compared to Dermabrasion.

I would approach your surgeon and get his opinion. If need be you may wish to consider a second opinion.

Dr. Peter Aldea