Correct Way to Perform IPL?

A doctor I saw for sunspots performed an IPL treatment in the oddest way. He had me stand facing him about a foot apart, he held up the IPL handle, told me to close my eyes, flashed the light and sent me on my way. It happened so fast, I was in a daze. Is this ethical? Is it at all feasible that that one flash will treat my sunspots? And he said to come back up to 3 times a week??

IPL Treatment vary a great deal depending on what is being treated and the equipment that is being used.

+1

The treatment you received would be very appropriate for a few spots in a small area.  If you have questions, check back with the doctor who did the treatment.  IPL Treatment vary a great deal depending on what is being treated and the equipment that is being used.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL treatments

+1

IPL treatments are performed about 3 weeks apart, with the patient lying down and wearing goggles.  Gel is applied and the handpiece is held very close to the skin or lightly touching it.  One pulse may be all that was required if only one sun spot was treated.  You would require multiple pulses to treat your full face.  It is possible that you only had LED light which is not as effective as IPL.  Ask the doctor the name of the device that he used and which type of light.  You should consider treatment with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist