What is the Correct Way to Pack a Deep Wound on the Incision?

I'm 5 weeks post op but last week my dr had to get a stitch out and it became this deep hole wound. He just told me to pack it with gauze twice a day, completely dry, not saline, nothing. When this happened to my mom years ago I had to use saline on it. I'm worried.

+1

Some surgeon elect not to pack a wound at all, depending on the size of the wound. Every surgeon has their own preferences.  If the wound is small and not infected, it probably doesnt make much of a difference how you treat the wound as long as it is kept clean. If it is larger, typically saline soaked gauze will help as tissues heal more rapidly when kept moist.  Ask your surgeon for details.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wound care

+1

Generally, an clean open wound heals more quickly with a sterile saline-soaked dressing packed gently into its depth, about once or twice a day.

You will have to ask your surgeon why he recommended a dry dressing.

Stephan Baker, MD