Correct One-sided Ptosis - What Can Be Done?

13 yrs ago an eyesurgeon overcorrected left eyelid on my pushed out eye (thyroid disease). It looked ugly, but it didnt hurt anymore and I could sleep again after 2 yrs of "bandaiding" it shut. Now its getting worse: my eye pulled back a bit and I'm getting older. I wonder what can be done? What kind of surgeon can help me re-correct the ptosis, if it's at all possible. I know he separated a muscle from where it was fastened. I'm scared my vision will suffer eventually.

Repairing unilateral ptosis-done all the time.

+2

Dear Nailisarb

You need an oculoplastic surgeon.  Repairing your left upper eyelid ptosis may be a little more complicated if it has been previously been operated on.  I would recommend an ASOPRS trained oculoplastic surgeon.  I believe that there are several in Brazil.  If you are having any trouble finding such an individual, email me directly at my website using a contact form and I will help you identify someone in Brazil with the right qualifications.

Unilateral Ptosis Demands Expert Treatment

+1

Ptosis surgery is, in my opinion, one of the most demanding procedures! In order to get symmetric eye opening, with the same degree of opening on each side, and the same eyelid arch on each side, you need a surgeon with tremendous, ongoing experience.

Although my specialty is facial surgery, I still refer all ptosis to oculoplastic surgeons - and I recommend you seek out the same.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correct One-sided Ptosis

+1

You can be corrected again even better than the first time. seek evaluation with a specialist in ptosis. You may even have to travel from Brazil. 

Eyelid ptosis

+1

The operation to correct ptosis really depends upon the amount of ptosis you have and the degree of levator function.  This can certainly be improved.

Correcting Sagging Upper Lid in Brazil

+1

Regarding:"Correct One-sided Ptosis - What Can Be Done?
13 yrs ago an eyesurgeon overcorrected left eyelid on my pushed out eye (thyroid disease). It looked ugly, but it didnt hurt anymore and I could sleep again after 2 yrs of "bandaiding" it shut. Now its getting worse: my eye pulled back a bit and I'm getting older. I wonder what can be done? What kind of surgeon can help me re-correct the ptosis, if it's at all possible. I know he separated a muscle from where it was fastened. I'm scared my vision will suffer eventually
."

I am assuming your hyperthyroidism has been corrected and I find it interesting that it affected only your left eye when it commonly affects both eyes. It is unclear as to what was specifically done 13 years ago. Hyperthyroidism may be associated with bulging eyeballs NOT with eyelid ptosis. Was the orbit made large to bring the eyeball back in? Did you have an unrelated eyelid ptosis which was treated after your thyroid was treated?

If you have copies of the medical records and especially the surgeon's operative record that would be very helpful to subsequent surgeons.

It is clear you have significant eyelid ptosis on the left. The EXTENT of ptosis, the MECHANISM (damage to nerve to levator muscle, damage to levator muscle or damage to the aponeurosis the ligamentous sheet between the muscle and the upper lid ) would determine the surgical solution. With a missing tarsal fold (see difference between normal right and abnormal left upper lids) it suggests that the attachment of the aponeurosis to the tarsal plate has been torn resulting in eyelid sag with a smooth upper lid without a transverse fold.

You need to be seen by a Plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery. I would research a university hospital where you live in Brazil and see who specializes in this type of surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Unilateral ptosis is commonly treated

+1

Unilateral ptosis repair is a common procedure.Also ptosis repair after treatment for thyroid eye disease can be very effective.I generally use an external approach but I know that other surgeons prefer an internal. You should have a consultation and should do well.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon