How Can I Correct my Uneven/Asymmetrical Eyes? (photo)

As you can tell by the picture, the inside corner of my right eye is not as pronounced or pointy as the left and droops down. How can this be corrected, so I can have a more symmetrical face?

Asymmetry of the upper eyelids

+1

It seems like the right eyelid has an epicanthal fold similar to an Asian eye. There are operations where the epicanthal fold is changed to look more like a western eye but it leaves small scars in that area.

Facial Asymmetry

+1

Although the photo you have provided is not ideal, there are still some features that can be identified.

Your asymmetry is likely due to the underlying bony asymmetry. Your orbital bones [eye socket] are likely different in shape/size. Your  left eye [including the eyelids, canthi, and eye brow] is higher than the left.

If you put a rule [or any straight edge] across the photo, you can easily see this asymmetry. Of course if your head is tilted in the photo, it can give that appearance also. But it seems to me that your head is not tilted, and that appearance is in fact a true asymmetry. Facial asymmetry is quite common, sometimes more subtle than others. But usually, it is the patient that notices it the most.

A CT scan of the Orbits [maxillofacial CT] with 3D reconstruction can better elucidate the problem. A consultation with an experienced Oculoplastics surgeon or Craniofacial surgeon would be appropriate to figure this out. If it is a true bony abnormality, then fixing the asymmetry is major bony reconstruction which most surgeons and patients would shy away from.

Best of Luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Highly recommend a personal consultation to assess this.

+1

Lindsey

The photo you provided is of lower resolution and your gaze is to the left instead of straight ahead.  This makes it difficult to address your concerns.  If this issue truly bothers you, I suggest you find an oculoplastic surgeon to assess you.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website with a geographic directory to help you find a well qualified oculoplastic surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Droopy eyelid

+1

Hi Lindsey,

It's a little tough to make recommendations with this photo.  A regular photo facing forward with less of a whited-out appearance would help.  However, it looks as though you have a very slight ptosis on the left that can be repaired easily.  I can't make other useful comments at this point.  In your area, however, I would recommend a consultation with an Oculoplastic surgeon.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon