How to Correct a Frowning Belly Button? (photo)

From my research I see that recommendations for this is a full tummy tuck, however I have had 3 consults with 3 diff. drs., just to me told they are drs., not magicians and while I have some excess skin above the belly button causing the frown, I don't have enough to cover a full tummy tuck. Please advise my other options and my frowning belly button makes me feel fat.

Belly buttons after a tummy tuck

+1

At this point, I think the best results you'll get will be with a full tummy tuck.  So, save up for that great result as I think you might be selling yourself short if you try to do anything else.

Frowning belly button

+1

I can see your point.  Yes the belly button is frowning.  The treatment for this is a tummy tuck.  Your photo doesn't show the whole abdomen, but from what I can see you have some significant stretch marks.  Why are you so against a tummy tuck?  Most women are thrilled with the results afterward.  You may be looking for answers where there are none.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Tummy Tuck for Belly Button Shape Change

+1

You can have a mini-tummy tuck done with an umbilical float downward. That will improve the shape of the belly button and work out the loose skin above it...all without a scar around the belly button.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Frowning belly button

+1

If you don't have enough skin for a full tummy tuck, consider giving up your belly button and having one reconstructed at a later time.  You will have a vertical scar somewhere in your lower belly but by choosing this, your muscles can be tightened like a full tummy tuck.  Find a surgeon who can accommodate your wishes and you should still have a satisfactory outcome.

Curtis Wong, MD

Frowning belly button

+1

The answer may make you frown but the result of an abdominoplasty won't.  The best way to treat this issue is really with an abdominoplasty.  In addition to improving the belly button, it will remove the lower abdominal tissue with the stretchmarks and it will also improve the upper abdomen.  Good luck.

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Frowning Belly Button

+1

The three surgeons you have consulted are correct. The loose skin of the upper abdomen is causing the horizontal shape of your belly button. Tummy tuck is the procedure of choice to address the loose skin and belly button shape. An umbilicoplasty alone will not be successful in correcting this problem in the long term.  Unfortunately, it's not what you want to hear, but it is pretty accurate. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

How to Correct a Frowning Belly Button?

+1

If you do not have enough skin for a tummy tuck of any sort, an umbilicoplasty carefully designed can change the appearance of the belly button to look more circular.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and umbilicoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

A full tummy tuck can make the belly button beautiful

+1

If the other surgeons feel you do not have enough skin for a full tummy tuck you can always remove as much skin as possible and have a small vertical scar lower down the belly.  This is a common way to do this procedure on women with not enough skin for a full tummy tuck excision and is quite popular in south america where women seek tummy tucks mostly to correct stretch marks and belly button issues.  The key is to be able to create a beautiful belly button.  I do this procedure often, so feel free to browse some photos of belly buttons that have been recreated with tummy tucks.  Below is a link to a photo of a belly button similar to yours and the after tummy tuck photo.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon