How Do You Correct Depressions to the Upper and Lower Lip Area After Fat Grafting?

I had this done 1 month ago. There are multiple small depressions. Is it ok to use an injectable filler at this time to correct it?

Lip Depressions after Fat Grafting

+1

I would wait for 3 months before determining the nature of the depressions.  Sometimes filler too early produces a worse result later.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Is it okay to use filler in the lips after fat grafting?

+1

This is a good question, and the short answer is yes. You could first try to fix contour irregularities with carefully performed filler injections to smooth these areas out.  It may take as long as 6 months for the fat grafts to take or become fully absorbed.  At that time, you could let the filler completely go away and see what you are left with. You may notice that things have smoothed out as time passes, if so, then you don't need anything else done. If there are still areas of irregularities left, then you can decide on regrafting these areas or continuing with the fillers alone.

I don't like fat grafting in the lips for this reason. The fat absorption is too unpredictable and can leave things bumpy in this very mobile area. Using a permanent silicone implant in the lips gives much better results that are even, long-lasting, and can be removed if you ever change your mind.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Lip depressions after fat grafting.

+1

Lip depressions after fat grafting are uncommon. I have used this for 35 years and have not had this problem. I would wait before doing anything 3 months after surgery.