How Necessary is It to Correct a Crossbite Before Starting Invisalign?

I went to the Orthodontist today and she explained I have a crossbite. She said I would need to wear a special appliance for 3-6 months to correct it before I can start my invisalign treatment. How necessary is it to correct this?

You should still correct cross bite when using invisalign.

+3

It’s important you correct cross bites for many reasons:

1- Better esthetic outcome
2- Better occlusion bite (proper chewing surfaces) which leads to
3- Less wear and tear on top surfaces of the teeth and
4- Less periodontal issues and less gum and bone recession
5- More stable final results meaning teeth will not shift away easily if cross bite is corrected
6- Less chance of future TMD (jaw joint disease due to imbalance of cross bite)
7- When teeth are in cross bite, there is abnormal biting forces on the teeth that are not completely vertical. This leads to enamel wear as well as periodontal issues. All of these will lead to early tooth loss
8- Supra-eruption meaning teeth keep on moving away from the gums if they are in complete cross bite and there is no opposing teeth holding them. This leads to early tooth loss.
9- And may lead to other skeletal issues, neuromuscular issues which lead to head and neck pain, etc.

If your concern is having to still use metal in your mouth before invisalign:  

We have been able to use the same systems and mechanics such as cross arch elastics and various other tools and techniques, lingual attachments, buttons, etc to be able to correct cross bites with invisalign. This works better and faster in younger patients.  Some cross bites may also be due to childhood accidents and due to skeletal issues which may need further evaluation. More diagnostic data and Cephalometric analysis will be needed.

***Online Answers should NEVER be substituted for a complete clinical exam and following advice of your treating doctors based on proper and full diagnosis and treatment planning.   There is no way anyone can properly diagnose and treatment plan a patient online without an in office exam.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Clear goals are needed before starting any treatment, including Invisalign

+2

If your goal is improved function as well as appearance, then a crossbite should be corrected before Invisalign.  Crossbites are a challenge with just Invisalign, so it may not fully correct or take a very long time if Invisalign is all that is used.

If you don't care, then you can skip the crossbite correction, but you must be ok with the compromise.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Expanding with Invisalign

+2

Although Invisalign excels at dental expansion, it is not the best tool for palatal expansion. If you have a posterior crossbite and you would like Invisalign, expanding first with a banded palatal expander before Invisalign is one viable option. Your orthodontist will be able to explain all of your options. Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist

Need to correct crossbite before invisalign

+2

Not all crossbites need to be corrected.  Correcting it depends on the goals of the treatment and what you are going to be happy with as the end result.  Correcting the crossbite with invisalign can be a little challenging so the first thing I woudl do is decide if correcting it is somehting that you want to accomplish.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Crossbites and Invisalign

+2

Not all crossbites have to be corrected necessarily, either with braces or Invisalign. This really depends on the goals of treatment between you and your orthodontist.

But if you are using Invisalign to correct your bite, fixing a crossbite with the aligners alone can prove to be a very challenging movement, and one that could take more time to correct in aligners alone, versus correcting the crossbite in an intial phase. I would consult your orthodontist to determine the best course of action for treatment.

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Crossbites can be fixed with Invisalign if...

+1

They fall within the parameters of treatment. That means that there is a measure of space needed to correct the crossbite and every treatment has its limitations.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist