What Can Be Done to Correct a Crooked, Asymmetrical Smile?

I have a face that's not symmetrical. It's noticeably slightly off, with one side's features appearing ever so slightly closer together than the other side. You'll see in the pictures that the right corner of my smile is far higher than the left corner. Is there anything that can be done to correct this? Also my nose is a little long and slightly large for my face. (I know I'm nitpicking. I work in entertainment and I'm trying to look my best.)

Improving facial aesthetics

+2

Complete right left symmetry does not exist in nature. Your facial bones as well as soft tissue are different on the left and right. However the difference is not significant enough to warrant surgery just for that and anyone who tells you so in Hollywood or in a surgeon's office should not be paid attention to. If you see enough doctors in LA waving money you are sure to find someone willing to operate. You need to run from that doctor quick as you can. There may be some minor rhinoplasty procedures that may be applicable in your case but the limited views of your photos does not allow a full assessment of that.

Based on the photos you posted you should not get anything more than botox or a filler at present, maybe the rhinoplasty. The entertainment business is not solely based on talent or logic. Many working their way up try to legitimatize an audition failure on a personal fault that is perceived. Most of the time it has nothing to do with that. Do not fall into that trap.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Facial symmetry

+1

You are a very pretty woman who looks very normal. Some asymmetry is normal in everyone, and it is acutally considered more appealing in studies done looking at mirror images of faces compared to the normal. 

I can't resist a woman dancing at a pole!

+1

Kelly

Picky-hey it's LA-who isn't picky.  Here is the thing, every face has asymmetry.  Every face has little issues.  It is Los Angeles and if you are trying to make it in the business or something vaguely related, your face is your brand and your calling card.  It is a set up for driving yourself insane or making some really bad choices when it comes to "fixes."  I do not think that you should run out and get a rhinoplasty or get yourself talked into a facelift.  Don't think it can happen?  Some out there are very good at feeding on vulnerabilities.  Please do not get victimized.  

Having a bunch of surgeons you have never met tell you are a 10 means nothing when you are competing in a town over flowing with women who are 11.  

I would encourage you to explore subtle non-surgical options before considering any thing surgical.  Unfortunately surgery in this town is that thing that often leads to having to excuse oneself from camera engagements especially now with HD.  

What are your options?  First there is no substitute for a personal consultation.  I would encourage you to consider MicrodropletTM Botox that lifts the eyebrow and does not freeze the forehead.  You will benefit from volume in the form of Deepfill Restylane under the eyes.  You do not need a ton.  This will balance your falling malar fat pads that make you look older.  For the smile,  a tiny bead of Restylane along the lip edge can be used to help balance the smile.  i would also consider whitening the teeth if the color of the photos is accurate.  In having any thing done for the lips, it is well to remember that there are essentially two types of lips: Executive lips and Adult Entertainment lips.  Please do not see a doctor who can't keep these two types of lips straight.  You also have subtle acne damage in your cheek skin and it is possible that plumping of these scars might be beneficial even though you do a very good job of hiding this under your make up.

I think if you do these small things, you will look 10 years younger and the slight asymmetry in the smile will not bother you as much.  Please be careful out there.

Facial asymmetry

+1

Everyone's face is slightly different on the right from the left. When I do computer imaging with patients there is an asymmetry view that allows patients to see two right halves together and two left halves together. It's an interesting exercise for people who don't at all realize how different one side is from the other. That's one of the things that makes for unique beauty. Your face is beautiful. Don't try to change it. If anything consider Botox only to match some of the muscle elevation. It won't be permanent if you don't like it and you won't have burned any bridges.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry

+1

While everyone's face has some slight asymmetry, there are ways to address the unevenness of your smile as well as your nose.  Before undergoing any procedures, though, please seek the advice of a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine a customized plan to address your concerns in a way that will obtain natural and balanced results with the rest of your face.

Kimberly Lee, MD