Can I Correct Breast Pocket w/o Surgery 3 Weeks Post Op?

I'm 3 weeks post op BA/BL (339cc silicone/anchor). At my last appt (10dpo) my dr. noted that while in a reclined position my left implant slides upward & laterally toward my underarm. He easily slipped it back inward/downward & didn't seem overly concerned. He told me to "encourage" it to remain in the inward/downward position & start wearing a supportive bra. Can you tell me what's going on? It still slides, should I wear a band to stop it? Why doesn't the right breast "slide" like this?

Large breast pocket

+4

At 3 weeks post op the only  option is immobilization with a bra or tape to try to stabilizte the implant more medially and inferiorly.  The more important question, is whether you will even need  correction.  Many times, the implants will slide more on one side than the other.  If this does not cause noticeable assymmetry and you are not bothered by it, then no treatment is recommended. I would however suggest that you follow through with  the support bra, and let your doctor see how it fits to ensure that it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Overly large implant pocket can be treated

+3

you are correct in noting that one implant is moving abnormally.  As others have suggested, your pocket (the space created to hold the implant) is too large on that side.  Non-surgical measures early on can be helpful.  A supportive bra or a band to hold the implant in it's correct position while a capsule forms around can be helpful.  However unless you are absolutely vigilant and immobilize the implant 24/7 there is a reasonable chance that the pocket will still be too large when everything heals.  In such a situation you surgeon will likely opt to surgically reduce the size of the pocket (capsulorrhapy).  Until then, keep the implant as immobilized as possible.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Changes after breast augmentation

+2

Frequently there are difference in how the two breasts heal, and often these asymmetries correct on their own with time. Since only 3 weeks have passed since your surgery, you should follow your plastic surgeon's advice and allow more time before considering surgical revision.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Implant position

+2

Sometimes the pocket becomes too large and causes the problem that you are describing.  It may or may not get better over the next few weeks. Follow closely with your surgeon.

Maybe.

+2

Your description indicates that this side is too big for the implant allowing it to slide to the side.

There are only 2 ways to treat this.  One is surgically narrow the compartment containing the implant.

The other is to hold the implant in the proper position and hope the lining of the compartment will 

shrink enough to hold the implant in the proper place.  This can possibly be done with a standard

bra or a bra special made for this problem.  You would have to wear the bra almost all the time for

at least 6 weeks and probably longer.  If that doesn't work, surgery is the only answer.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

DISPLACING IMPLANT

+2

It appears from your description that the implant is shifting or displacing in a superiolateral position.  This can only occur if the pocket is too large.  At this time the pocket has already developed a lining and is fairly well established.  Conservative measures may help.  Your suggestion of wearing a strape to hold the implant down is a good one.  Taping will cause too much skin irritation. I would wear a supportive bra when you are tired of using a strap.  The more you immoblilize the implant the better the chances of having these measures work.  That means 24/7.  I would give it 3 months and if there is still a problem surgery is the only other option.  Surgically closing off the pocket is a definitive solution.  Keep at it and don't worry.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Implant Migration

+2

The description suggests an oversized implant pocket out towards the side.

At this point, would suggest external taping and a supportive bra for several months to keep the implant centralized behind the breast while the peri-implant capsule is still forming.

It this proves unsuccessful, the eventual capsule may need to be surgically reduced  (Lateral Capsulorrhaphy) to match the implant,  about six months after the initial procedure.

Stephan Baker, MD

When to do a pocket correction

+2

Although I can't give you a definitive answer  without examining you, it sounds like your pocket may be too large for the implant.  You can try to support it by wearing a bra or taping the breast but usually it will require a second procedure to close the pocket.  If that is the case I would wait at least 3 months before doing that to allow the capsule to mature.  It will make the surgery and the recovery much easier and faster.  Be patient and follow up with your doctor.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant slip out of position after augmentation

+2

In the best of circumstances the implant pocket should match the size of the implant and hold it centered under the nipple. Even with a 'T' pattern breast lift the implant and pocket should fit one another. The support bra is a good idea, and we also would encourage the breast band, day and night for the next two weeks to hold the implant and breast together. We don't know exactly what was done and if the bra will 'work' but it certainly can't hurt your chances of a good result.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry

+2

Implants moving out of intended position early in the postoperative period are a cause for concern, but you would require a formal evaluation to truly delineate this problem. Most of the time, the only therapeutic option in this situation is to keep the implant as immobile as possible (with bands or tape) to keep it from moving into the undesired locations. At three weeks, your breast capsule may already have matured beyond this point, however. Best of luck to you.

Derek Lou, MD