Is It Possible to Correct Asymmetry Without Changing out the Implant?

I had mentor 350-400 saline implants put in 2.5 weeks ago. I did not see this much asymmetry before the operation, but immediately after the surgery there seemed to be a big difference. I have noticed very little change since. The right is much smaller, but has 390cc, whereas the fuller left has 370cc. I prefer the volume in the larger left breast. How possible would it be to have about 40cc added to the right without switching the implant? What would the procedure entail?

Asymmetry following breast augmentation

+1

it seems like your nipple to inframammary crease distances are not equal. this is the reason for your asymmetry not the implants. the surgeon should be able to save the implants and replant them but he must first determine the casue of your asymmetry which seems to be the above mentioned problem.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

A breast is 3 dimensional and volume is unidimensional

+1

There are concerns about changing the shape as you fill and existing implant without changing the size and dimensions, so it is not quite as easy as it sounds. Picture two people who weigh 130 lbs with one being 4 feet tall and the other being 6 feet tall. Just because they are the same weight does not mena they are the same shape.

Post-operative Breast Asymmetry

+1

The difference between the two breasts is more than 40cc. Adding more than that to your current implant will do several things. 1) It will make your right breast feel firmer, and make the implant narrower and project more. 2) With time it may gradually weaken the shell of the implant.

You are going to need a surgery to increase the size of the right breast regardless. I recommend using sizers in the operating room to assess the volume difference between the two breasts, then to use the appropriate implant on the right side as opposed to continuing to overinflate the current right breast implant. Also, most women have asymmetry before surgery, and although the goal is symmetry, the reality is to attain as much symmetry as possible.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Some breast asymmetry is normal. While you can add some volume to one implant, it would require surgery, and it may make the implant feeel firmer than the other one.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Some degree of asymmetry is normally present in most patients, and breast augmentation surgery may occasionally accentuate this. Since you are only a couple of weeks out from your surgery, you should allow a little more time for the normal healing process to occur before you make a decision about your final result. There are a number of techniques short of switching the implant which may improve the asymmetry, and your plastic surgeon should discuss these with you.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Correction of Breast Asymmetry

+1
It is extremely uncommon for a woman to have symmetrical breasts. Asymmetry is the rule with it manifesting in asymmetric eyes, breasts, arms, buttocks even legs. However, the vast majority of women are unaware of their asymmetry. While Plastic surgeons attempt to correct asymmetry, in the vast majority of cases the best they can do is narrow the asymmetry - not completely correct in. In your case, the difference in volume between the breasts exceeds the 20cc difference in the current implant fills. While adding another 40 cc for added fill could be done there is no guarantee that doing so would correct the asymmetry. Moreover, it may make the edges of the implant more obvious. If you are happy with the left side, a much better solution would be to use temporary OF implant sizers in the right breast until the ideal implant is found.At this point, the real implant is opened and placed with much better exults. Dr Peter A Aldea