How to look for the best rhinoplasty surgeon? (photo)

So I'm considering rhinoplasty. My profile view I don't mind and not even the right side, it's just my left side that gets me! I feel like my nose curves towards the left which makes my left nostril higher up and wider. I just look like a completely different person from the right side and I really hate constantly worrying about being on my "good side". I also feel like my tip droops a little when I smile, making my nose look pointy. I'm just interested in some tip work. Can this be fixed?

Rhinoplasty to reshape nose

+1
Dear hertime,  thank you for your question.Rhinoplasty is a popular procedure that can dramatically change one's appearance. In our San Diego practice we perform computer imaging to determine what may be possible in your case. Actual before and after photos are a good way to evaluate your surgeon.Good Luck!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding the best rhinoplasty surgeon

+1
You're a very pretty girl in a good candidate for a cosmetic rhinoplasty.  However it is essential that you find a very experienced excellent rhinoplasty surgeon.

Understand that many years of experience and technical skill are required to obtain a good rhinoplasty result.  It would be a shame if you do not achieve the best result possible since you're very pretty and young.

One of the most important factors is to find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has a very well known an excellent reputation in your community.  You can visit the website of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Aesthetic plastic surgeons to find doctors in your area.

However trying to find members of your community who have had surgery by the doctor is another valuable source of information.

See multiple surgeons for consultation.  During your consultation asked to see photographs of patients that the surgeon has actually operated on.  If possible asked to speak to prior patients.

Choose your surgeon very wisely.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How to look for the best rhinoplasty surgeon?

+1
    Every rhinoplasty surgeon thinks that he or she is great at rhinoplasty.  Some are correct, and some are delusional.  I would look for board certification, training at the finest schools, great reviews, and great before and after photos.

Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1
You are a very good candidate for rhinoplasty. In the right hands- you can achieve very good results. Rhinoplasty is a very unique procedure.
When searching for the right surgeon-- always make sure you go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with years of experience. Look at his/her Before and After Galleries. If you like what you see online-- schedule an in-person consultation with that Surgeon. 

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Finding Surgeon for Tip Work

+1
All rhinoplasty surgery is individualized; having said that your rhinoplasty procedure can be limited to improving your  asymmetrical slightly over-projecting tip. Finding the right surgeon will be the most difficult part of your surgery. Go online to find experienced rhinoplasty specialists, look at their results, and consult with several surgeons,

Finding the right surgeon for rhinoplasty

+1
     I will add my 2 cents to this.  I agree you should look for a board certified surgeon.  I notice many general plastic surgeons on Realself comment that you should make sure the surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery.  As a board certified facial plastic surgeon, I would say that both general plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons are qualified to perform rhinoplasty - in general.  You should definitely consider the experience of each specialty in regards to the nose.  There are many general plastic surgeons that are excellent rhinoplasty surgeons and know the nose inside and out.  Others might not have as much experience inside the nose, however. 
     My bias is that any surgeon who has not mastered septoplasty and other functional maneuvers to improve or preserve nasal airflow during surgery should not be performing cosmetic rhinoplasty at all.  There is too much overlap in form and function in the nose to not have this qualification.  Ask your surgeon if he or she performs functional nasal surgery.  The answer might be interesting.  If they don't I would not let them operate on my nose.  I saw a plastic surgeon once that did not use a headlight to perform rhinoplasty.  He did not have a headlight in his office either.  This is crazy in my humble opinion.  I can't tell you how many patients I have seen who have had rhinoplasty elsewhere and developed nasal obstruction (as well as cosmetic problems) after the surgery.  Frequently, I see severe septal deviations left untouched during cosmetic rhinoplasty.  Nasal valve collapse caused by taking down a bump on the bridge is common.  Pinching of the tip due to over-resection of tip cartilage or failure to recognize malposition of tip cartilage is also very common.  My point is that sometimes small cosmetic maneuvers can have bad consequences if done incorrectly or for the wrong patient.
Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best rhinoplasty surgeon

+1
There are some basic guidelines. First make sure the training basics are fulfilled- He is board certified in either Facial Plastic Surgery or Plastic Surgery. Second, make sure that this is the main procedure he performs as part of his practice. Thirdly, and most importantly, you must like his aesthetic skills. Training and numbers don't mean anything if a cosmetic result can't be delivered.
You will know when you find him after you interview several people.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Surgeon

+1
It goes without saying that from your surgeon you want brilliance, understanding, resourcefulness, great training, the best hands and eyes in the business, and a calming manner. But you also need him or her to have professional qualifications. No matter whom you pick, your doctor should have the proper certification and experience necessary to perform a rhinoplasty. You should expect your doctor to be more than just aware of, but positively fluent in, such recent and dramatic advances. Above all, your doctor should be board-certified. Will your doctor be able to handle complications during surgery or the healing process, should any arise? A board-certified plastic surgeon has had years of training in the handling and sculpting of skin tissue and its healing, and may be the doctor best equipped to handle the unexpected.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

How to find the best surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
When looking for the right surgeon for a rhinoplasty, make sure he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty and that he/she has great before and after pictures and a great reputation amongst his/her patients. Also when you go for a consultation how you feel with the surgeon, the comfort level and trust is an important factor as well. Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Rhinoplasty surgeon in your area

+1
Thanks For the photos. Your nose is very normal but I agree you have some twisting and drooping of the tip that can be improved and would look very nice on you. You would benefit form an open Rhinoplasty to allow for accurate symmetric reconstruction of you nasal tip cartilages. This is fairly complicated surgery and would be best done by a surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty.

Good Luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon