Coronal Forehead Lift for Young Patient?

I am in mid 20's (female) but already have issues with horizontal forehead wrinkles/folds, very apparent even with the slightest effort to look up.

Today, I met with my plastic surgeon (who performed Asian blepharoplasty on me few years ago with very satisfactory/natural results), and he recommended Forehead lift for lasting results.

I did some research later and found out what he explained to me was "coronal Forehead lift," which seemed unnecessarily invasive especially for a patient in her 20's. I called his office, and apparently he does not perform Endoscopic Forehead lift. Is that normal, should I find another doctor?

Coronal vs Endoscopic Forhead Lift

+2

Ah, yes the great debate. First, to answer your question no a patient in their 20's does not need a coronal brow lift.

The endoscopic brow lift utilizes 3-5 1 inch incisions perpendicular to the hairline. The forehead tissue is elevated at the level of the bone down to the brows. Usually the scalp is elevated posterior to the incisions as well. Now days endotines which resemble dissolve-able carpet tack strips are attached to the skull, the tissue is elevated and pushed onto the endotines. The incisions are closed. The upsides are that it's much faster, smaller incisions, less down time and great for moderate brow ptosis. The downside is that no tissue is removed so it's not great for severe brow ptosis.

The coronal lift utilizes an incision that goes from ear to ear. The tissues are elevated in the same manner except that the tissues behind the incision are not elevated. This tissue is elevated, the excess removed and the incision is closed. The upside is that the excess tissue is removed so it's great for severe ptosis and will have a better longer lasting result. The downsides are the large incision that is very noticeable when the hair gets wet and there is numbness behind the incision line.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Coronal Lift in a 20 year old patient: No Way

+2

As other surgeons have mentioned, there are so many ways to address forehead lines including chemical (Botox) and surgical approaches. A Coronal brow lift is, in my opinion, a historical approach with very little relevance in contemporary facial rejuvenative procedures. Patients with an acceptable hairline can be addressed endoscopically, and patients with a high hairline can be addressed with a trichophytic approach. A coronal approach raises a hairline and requires a large incision. The only time I currently use a coronal approach is for trauma cases.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please don't let someone perform a coronal forehead lift on you

+2

Dear Brokenbovine

I think Dr. Sonne is right in encouraging you to consider BOTOX. While the results are temporary it may be just what you are looking for.

If you need more effect, a forehead lift may be appropriate but not a coronal lift. The coronal lift is a surgery performed by cutting from one ear to the other, all the way through the scalp. This makes an huge incision that damages the scalp and can cause permanent hair and sensation loss. Variations include moving the incision to along the hair line. Surgeons who still perform this debilitating surgery are insensitive to the damage they cause in their patients.

There is almost no reason to perform the coronal forehead lift. It is a surgery that appropriately frightens any reasonable person. The small incision forehead lift is highly effective, with rapid recovery, and typically no loss of hair or sensation. Those who cling to the coronal forehead lift use a variety of arguments to justify their choice. Don't be taken in by their charms or their arguments. Find a forehead surgeon performing the endoscopic forehead lift. Better yet, try BOTOX first. This may be exactly what you are looking for without more surgery.

Coronal browlift for yound pt is not common

+1

Coronal brow lift in your 20's sounds un-necessary on initial review and with limited information. There are ways to realx your forehead and botox is a lot less expensive and much less invasive.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Coronal brow lift

+1

It is difficult to answer this question without seeing your photos.  Your surgeon may be right in suggesting a coronal lift if you have a low hairline (short forehead) and very droopy brows.  Otherwise go for Botox or an endoscopic brow lift.

Sam Naficy, MD

Forehead lift techniques: Match the patient to the appropriate technique!

+1

For a woman in her 20's with deep transverse forehead lines, I would doubt a maximally-invasive coronal browlift would be the best option. It is VERY likely that an endoscopic browlift will suit your needs quite nicely. Even with a high hairline, a skilled endoscopist can accomplish an effective and durable lift endoscopically.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coronal lift in 20 year old

+1

Excellent surgeons debate the benefits of endoscopic or small incision lifts vs the traditional coronal forehead lift.  I am not sure you even need a forehead lift--you might be very happy with the results of Botox or Dysport which might be highly successful in delaying the need for a forehead lift.  But I agree--no coronal lift in someone in their 20's.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coronal forehead lifts are probably unnecessary in patients of all ages. Stick to endoscopic approaches.

+1

From my standpoint, there are no advantages and certainly some significant disadvantages of performing a coronal vs. endoscopic brow lift.  I think you need to consider chemodenervation initially with botox or dysport, and then look into surgery only as needed.  In my experience there are very few patients in their 20's or even 30's that really would require surgery.

Surprisingly, botox or dysport can really open the eyes and provide a slight brow lift when completed by a truly experienced injector.  Filler agents placed carefully into the lateral brow head can also give you a slight lift in 5 minutes with little to no risk.

I really recommend three qualified opinions before launching on any plans here.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Lift, Brow Lift, Forehad lines

+1

At 20 years old, I'd be surprised that your Eyebrows would be low enough to warrant a Brow or Forehead Lift of either kind (Coronal or Endoscopic).  I do both types of Brow Lifts but the youngest patient was 27.  Yes, some plastic and comsetic surgeons still prefer the Coronal Brow Lift or Forehead Lift as there are no sutures, screws or threads required to keep the Brows elevated as are used in and Endoscopic Brow Lift.  I also feel that the Coronal Brow Lift is a much more reliable and preferrable form of Brow Lift than the Endoscopic.

Your forehead lines would best be treated IMO using Botox or Dysport and not through a Forehad or Brow Lift.

Endoforehead lift vs coronal lift

+1

Coronal lift produce scars and occasionally hair loss along the scars. Endoforehead lift is minimally invasive, less scar and produces excellent result when done completely.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon