Can a Coronal Browlift Be Reversed?

I had a coronal browlift done about a year ago. I know it is more invasive and the old timey way but can it be reversed? The reason why i chose this as opposed to endoscopic is because i wanted a bigger forehead. Only problem now is that my brows are too high.

Reversing a brow lift

+2

Yes, this can be done, but is not particularly easy to reverse a coronal brow lift.

Dr. Mike Yaremchuk from MGH in Boston (a former professor of mine) has written and lectured extensively on this very topic.  The technique involves re-opening the coronal incision, anchoring the forehead flap at the correct level, and freeing-up the posterior scalp to close the resulting gap.

I have not done this myself, but Dr. Yaremchuk's pre-op/post-op photos look convincing & impressive.

Reversing a coronal lift

+1

It is possible to partially reverse a coronal lift with the scalp advancement techniques described - but most likely it will not return to the brows to the original level.

Sam Naficy, MD

Reversing Coronal Browlift

+1

Hi gatorgirl29,

No, a coronal browlift cannot be reversed easily, largely due to skin removal at the original operation. However, some of the effects may possibly be improved, although with difficulty. Revision surgery would require to advance skin from the back of the scalp forward. Tissue expanders may be required to loosen the skin and allow adequate scalp movement.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a Coronal Browlift Be Reversed?

+1

Coronal Brow Lift still remains the gold standard for Brow Lift procedures however, the surgeon must understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the procedure to be effective at achieving the desired results.  Massaging the forehead and eyebrows can drop the eyebrow position dramatically and I'd advice doing that for 6 months before undergoing, a possibly unnecessary repeat operation.  

Brow Lift Reversal

+1

It is my opinion that a coronal brow lift would be difficult to reverse. If it had been performed through an endoscopic approach with internal fixation and not direct scalp excision (coronal) it could be released and remobilzed downward possibly. Once the scalp has been excised it would be unlikely to be able to get recruitment of scalp from the back of the head to move things "back down". Scalp as a tissue moves very poorly unless a very extensive procedure is performed. Time would be your best bet.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Over done brow lift

+1

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. The good news is that it can be reversed by doing the reverse operation while freeing the posterior scalp and advancing it forward towards your brows. The surgery is more extensive and at times fixating the brows into their new position is required.

You should see an experienced board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to perform the procedure!

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Reversing a brow lift

+1

Time and maybe massage should result in some lowering of the brows . There are ways to reverse a coronal brow lift depending on the degree of residual scalp laxity behind the scar. Tissue expansion of the anterior scalp and forehead could give the necessary loosenes to allow  the brows to come down. The approach would have to be out of the routine and a bit creative if the need is so great to lower the brows.

I have reversed a number of endoscopic brow lifts which is relatively easy  as most of the scalp tissue remains albeit repositioned. The endoscopic brow lift can result in a bigger forehead also.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction Of A Too High Browlift?

+1

A browlift of any type can not be surgical reversed. This would be particularly true for any excisional type of browlift where tissue has been removed to create the elevation of the brows effect. Time eventually will make the brows drop somewhat but this is likely not as fast or as much as you would like.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD