Can Coronal Brow Lifts Cause Hair Loss As a Bad Side Effect

I had a coronal brow lift 4 months ago and since then my hair is now very thin across all the top of my head. I used to have thick hair. Is this common and will it last. I also have numbness right across the top of the head too

Coronal brow lift and hair loss.

+4

This can happen temporarily and regrow after 3-9 months. All patients have numbness behind the incision which slowly recovers. If the scar is wide it can be removed and resutured by a surgeon who does a great deal of hair surgery.

Hair loss can occur after surgery, trauma and stressful events

+3

Your hair can undergo some hair loss just from trauma, stress. After a browlift can happen as well. It is usually in along the incision line. So over all of the top of your head is a little more unusual. I would give it at least 6 months to a year for your hair to cycle through before I got really worried.  This should be brought up to your doctor too.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coronal Browlift and Hair Loss

+3

A coronal browlift can cause hair loss, along the incision, especially if the hair bearing tissues aren't handled meticulously.  This can be temporary or permanent, depending on the amount of wound tension and cautery used during the case. However, global thinning of hair is most likely related to a stress response known as telogen effluvium.  This usually resolves over the course of several months.  The numbness you are experiencing is a procedure related phenomenon and generally returns to normal over 6 to 12 months.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Both can occur following coronal open incision. The numbess will improve with time abd the hair should grow back by 6 months. Occasionally, the scar widens that needs revision or hair transplant. At this point, best to wait.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after coronal browlift should improve

+2

It is not uncommon to see some thinning of the hair around the incision following a coronal browlift.  If incision was placed properly to avoid damage to the hair follicles, regrowth will occur within a few months.  All patients have numbness of the scalp behind the incision following coronal browlift and this usually improves gradually.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and hair loss can occur following coronal browlift but should improve with time

+2

Numbness and hair loss can occur following coronal browlift but should improve with time. The numbness cannot be avoided as the sensory nerves are divided with the approach. This should improve significatly over time. Hair loss can be either temporary or permanent depending on the reason for the hair loss. If the scalp if handled roughly or the follicles cauterized and closed too tightly the hair loss can be permanent but this is unusual. You should expect improvement over the next 6 months with continued healing. If you're concerned, please return to your plastic surgeon to discuss further.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numb with thin hair after Brow Lift

+2

Brow Lifts can cause numbness that should be temporary unless the sensory nerves were injured during the Brow Lift. Sensory branches to skin and scalp are always disrupted when an incision is placed in the skin or scalp. These all tend to regrow within several months, so your numbness should be improving if that's the only cause. Hair follicles can go into shock after any type of surgery and general anesthesia. Brow Lifts can increase this effect if the dissection is to superficial within the scalp and injures the hair follicles. You might ask your surgeon if you can use ladies rogaine to stimulate the follicles...proecia if you are a male. Only a third of the hair follicles are in the growth phase at any one time and each growth phase lasts about 3-4 months which means it could take a full year for you to see thicker, fuller hair.