Willl a Corner of the Mouth Lift Correct my Asymmetrical Mouth?

I have an asymmetrical mouth that I'd like to correct through surgery. The present shape of my mouth may be completely natural, or the result of having braces when I was a teenager (small mouth was enlarged to accommodate big teeth).

I'm wondering if I am a viable candidate for a corner of the mouth lift. I like that this procedure has immediate, permanent results while being less invasive than other facial surgeries. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Treatment of asymmetric mouth

There are several things that can be used to treat an asymmetric mouth.

The corners can be raised individually or together with a corner of the lip lift, with DAO muscle fiber division, augmentation asymmetrtically to compensate for volumetric asymmetries, or an asymmetric upper lip lift.

None of these seems appropriate to your case, where the commissures insert differently due to an asymmetric cant of the entire lip.

120 S Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Options for asymmetrical smile

There are several possible things that contribute to the shape of the smile, and so different options depending upon the specific condition.

One possibility is that the bone structure of the face is a little bit different, as is the case for example with Brian Williams of NBC News. Often it is related to muscle activity and in that case, some Botox to the higher side can work, assuming you don't mind lowering the higher side.

If you do decide on a lip lift, thre are a couple of ways to do it, and one that I like places the scar along the bottom of the nose where it is very inconspicuous. But if you have ever seen the mirror image pictures, where one side of the face is reversed and matched up so the face is perfectly symmetrical, it usually looks kind of odd.

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Analyze the underlying cause, then a treatment plan can be determined.

There are multiple anatomic abnormalities that can result in asymmetry of the mouth. These may include abnormalities of the underlying facial bones, teeth, and lip soft tissue. In most cases asymmetry of the mouth is relatively minor, but in some cases may be severe and extremely noticeable. Depending on the cause, treatment may or may not be possible.
It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on from your pictures, a physical examination that looked specifically at occlusion, teeth and the facial skeleton would be helpful. Asymmetry of the facial bones can be a major contributor to this type of problem. Dental abnormalities may also contribute to this problem.
It’s therefore important to localize the cause of the problem. Depending on the cause a wide variety of treatment options may exist. The results of treatment are dependent upon applying the right treatment to the right problem.
When the problem is related to the soft tissue, lifting the corner of the mouth may be associated with high satisfaction rates. If you’re considering this approach, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area is appropriate.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Mouth lift for asymmetric mouth

No. The problem is a static and dynamic issue with regard to the upper and lower lip. Minute injections of Botox into the strong side might help alleviate some of the asymmetry, but this is not a good idea to have surgery on this dynamic asymmetry.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Asymmetry of the lips

While the right corner of your mouth appears lower than the left, there may be multiple other reasons why the lips are asymmetric. A corner lift could elevate the corner of the mouth but other issues such as the height and length of the white lip as well as the thickness and fullness of the vermillion will not be corrected. It almost appears as if the entire lip is longer and ti could be that conservative use of Botulinumn toxin on the left lip may provide you with better symmetry.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Corner of Mouth Lift

There are a number of things that can be done. However, it is very difficult to tell from the picture, which does not show your entire face and has you, apparently, looking a little to the left, what needs to be done for you. What you need is a personal consultation with a Plastic Surgeon. At that consultation, you will need to point out exactly what bothers you and what you would like to look like. Everyone is somewhat asymmetric and it is impossible to make you totally equal bilaterally. With a face-to-face discussion, together you can determine what can be done and if it will satisfactorily correct your problem.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

It appears a lip lift will not work for asymmetrical mouth

I wish you had included your full face. From the part I can see it appears that the right side of your face is slightly lower than the left. It shows that the right nostril and earlobe are slightly lower than the left and the chin on the right side probably is also slightly lower.

Faces are typically asymmetrical, but yours may be a bit more than average.

I would seek an opinion of someone who can evaluate the alignment of your jaws in that the problem may be there.

However in patients who do not wish surgery, sometimes you can improve the look just by having the border of the lips tattooed, but with the tattoo placed to make the right lip look higher. It is an inexpensive fix that is non invasive and may give you sufficient improvement to please you.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

6405 N Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

Corner of the mouth lift

Although a good procedure, its usually reserved for patients over 60 as they tend to heal with more favorable scars. I would not recommend this procedure for you, and I like the procedure!

Dean Fardo, MD

4165 Old Milton Pkwy
Alpharetta, GA 30005

Corner Lip Lift is one option among others

The corner of the lip lift is done on the skin portion next to the corner of the lips. With this procedure their will be an incision that will be visible at the junction of the white and red portions of the lips. It can elevate the corner of the lips to make the lips more symmetric. A lip lift under the nose is another way to make the lips more symmetric with a less visible scar as opposed to the corner lip lift. Also, sometimes the asymmetry can be due to the decreased appearance of the red lip area. To evert the red lip sometimes mucosal advancements are needed to show more of the red lip and volumizing procedures may be needed as well to create more symmetry. All of these options are more permanent than the temporary fillers.

Sometimes the lips are asymmetric due to the connection of the lip to the surrounding bone. More specifically it can be due to the way the lip is attached to the area around the nose and the bone in this area. When the attachment of the lip to the nasal bone area is asymmetric the lips can appear different on each side. This condition may require attaching the lip and the muscles of the lip higher around the nasal bone area. This is a more complex situation.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004