Using Cordran Tape to Reduce Tip Swelling 1 Year After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 1 year ago and I have substantial swelling in the tip still. I have thick skin but am reluctant to get steroid shots. Will placing Cordran tape inside my nose help flush out some of the scar tissue? And does picking at the inside of my nose lengthen the process of swelling reduction?

Tip Of Nose Swelling Treatment 1 Year After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Spacejam,

Typically, for a patient with thick skin the swelling resolution takes a bit longer than usual.

However, Cordran tape will not reduce the swelling at this point. As for the corticosteroid injections - Kenalog - their help may be pretty limited.

So, I encourage you to consult with board certified surgeons of ample experience in Rhinoplasty since your best bet may be a well performed revision.

Thank you for your question and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Tape and Steroids to Reduce Tip Swelling One Year Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Neither tape nor steroids will make a significant difference in your tip swelling a year after your primary operation. Consult with your surgeon or a revision specialist about your alternatives to possibly decrease the size of your tip.

In Short

+1

In Short: Tape - "NO", Corticosteroid Injections - "MAYBE."  Remember, thick skin never re-drapes over the nasal skeleton like thin skin.  However, steroids can be used to help or at least improve the adverse effects of thick scar tissue.  

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sadly, no.  Even kenalog injections at 1 year post Rhinoplasty will yield marginal reduction of what is at this point mature subcutaneous scar tissue.  The solution might be to have a revision Rhinoplasty to remove the scar tissue.  I use kenalog (if needed) and daily manual lymphatic drainage (performed by the patient on themselves) to avoid the chronic tissue swelling that can lead to this mature scar tissue forming.  Once formed, these measures are ineffective IMHO.  Topical application of steroid infused tape is similarly ineffective at this point IMO.

Tip Swelling 1 Year After Rhinoplasty

+1

In the presence of thick skin the only treatment I can see would be Injection Kenalog which is locally acing corticosteroid and does not go to the rest of the body if this is what you are scarred of.Nothing else in my opinion will work.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Codran tape for Tip Swelling 1 year post-op

+1

Hi,

I dont think the codran tape will help. The steroids have to get under the skin and dermis to the area where there is either swelling or scar. The only way to do that is to inject a small amount of kenelog.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS