How Should I Start my Journey to a Flat Abdomen? Should I Get a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Good Night Doctors and I really appreciate you took the time to read and answer my question. I really dream to have a flat abdomen. I had 2 beautiful children, the younger is 5 months now, and I'm still Breast-feeding - I plan to BF for more 6 months, and lose 10-15lbs prior to any plastic surgery - I'm considering a Tummy Tuck, What's your evaluation? How long before the surgery I should start seen the doctor? I'm 5'3", 170 lbs - Healthy -Thanks a lot!!

How Should I Start my Journey to a Flat Abdomen? Should I Get a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Seek IN PERSON evaluation now with boarded PSs in your area. For surgery within 6 months. Make sure you fully understand the operative plans. 

Candidate for tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question and photos!  I hope that these answers help!  Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure.  Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly.  

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results.  Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.  Also, I would recommend performing this procedure after you have completed child bearing, as your appearance may return with each pregnancy.  

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and then likely return once you have achieved your ideal weight  in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tummy tuck recommendations after last pregnancy

+2

Thanks for providing all that useful information. You surely can see a plastic surgeon at any point in time and now actually would be a good time. The reason is that not only will you be provided with useful information sooner, but if you need to take certain actions, this can be started sooner, providing you more time to realize a specific goal or outcome.

From what I can see, you may ultimately benefit from a tummy tuck but you should lose well in excess of 10 - 15 pounds prior to proceeding - and this should be after you have finished breast feeding. Typically, I would also wait at least 6 months after your last pregnancy before undergoing the procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Loss of Intra-abdominal Fat Enhances Tummy Tuck Results

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. A tummy tuck will certainly help.  Your photos demonstrate that you still have a significant amount of intra-abdominal fat.  Fat around the organs is the limiting factor in how flat a tummy tuck will make you and how defined your waist will be.  I would recommend losing a minimum of 20- 25 pounds.  Your tummy tuck results will be significantly enhanced and you will be much closer to your dream of a flat tummy. Good luck. 

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

When to start the Tummy Tuck Tour

+2

The first point for me is that a BMI be at or below 30 . At that level you will see more of the outcome you are hoping to achieve . Second I would have you wait till it has been 8 months to a year from your last pregnancy before any surgery . And finally , finishing breast feeding would help settle ypur body down for what you will be going through with the procedure .Start there and good luck.

Paul Albear, MD

Tummytuck

+2

You can start looking for a surgeon at anytime. The more weight you lose, the more the skin will sag. But there is more a surgeon can do for you. You might consider a lower goal weight based on your height

Michael Hueneke, MD

Second Baby Syndrome

+2

Wait until you stop breast feeding and then see a plastic surgeon. It's then time to refresh your body with a tummy tuck. All of that extra skin under your belly button will be removed and your muscles will be tightened. I would also perform some liposculpting around your hips and flanks to put the icing on the cake. You will be so glad you did it. Something else to consider is laser liposuction of your back bra rolls and your arms. This can be performed during the same time or at a later date under local anesthesia.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+2

A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.
Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result.

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:
Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better.

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure.
Best wishes!
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after Breast Feeding

+2

Based on your photos, you will be a great candidate for a Tummy Tuck.   Lose your weight, and finish breast feeding before your evaluation with a Plastic Surgeon.  You want to get the best result possible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummytuck would help a lot once close to ideal weight

+2

though your well thought out plan for tummytuck in a few months or more is good, it's not too early to start consulting  with board-certified plastic surgeons. best to be done breast feeding and to have reached a comfortable and stable weight. 

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon