Could Coolscupting Be Causing Hot Flashes?

I had coolscupting performed on my entire abdomen area about 2 weeks ago. Within a day or two, I started having intense hot flashes which would alternate with then becoming cold. I am 50 yrs old, last period was over one year ago, and have read somewhere that estrogens are produced by fat cells in the abdomen. Can the freezing and destruction of the fat cells, which possibly contain estrogen, be causing these hot flashes?

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq and hot flashes

+2

I have not been aware of patients mentioning hot flashes after CoolSculpting by Zeltiq to me nor my colleagues, but that doesn't mean that you didn't experience this as a result of your treatment. Possilby your theory of estrogens and symptoms after CoolSculpting is a possible cause of your symptoms but I have checked with Zeltiq and they have researched their entire data base and have not one mention of hot flashes as a side effect. The company's representative also searched via the internet and did not find such a mention of hotflashes from CoolSculpting.  Please note that this does not mean you didn't, in fact, have symptoms you described as a result of the device, but it hasn't been reported by others.  You should ask your doctor to formally report it to the company and in this way as more reports are tabulated by Zeltiq, they can inform the physicians who use the device, and physicians can inform their patients more thoroughly.  It's better to centralize side effects in this way to be able to study the numbers and determine if a side effect is prevalent or not.  Otherwise, periodic mention on the internet doesn't provide, me and other physicians, with the information we need to educate my / our patients as best we can.

Coolsculpting and hot flashes

+2

Coolsculpting does not cause hot flashes and if they are persistent I would suggest you discuss with your primary physician. There are many causes for hot flashes and some include endocrine issues but Coolsculpting is not one of them.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hot Flashes after CoolSculpting

+1

Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after CoolSculpting though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. Hot flashes are not a known side effect of this treatment.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Hot Flashes with Coolsculpting

+1

I have not heard of hot flashes occurring after CoolSculpting and it is not in the literature (that I know of).  Talk to your primary care to see if anything else is going on that may be contributing to this.

Best Wishes!