CoolSculpting - How Much Fat is Lost When You Do Treatments in Stages?

Does each individual cool sculpting procedure decrease the same amount of fat each time or does this percentage vary with number of procedure and time between procedures?

Coolsculpting and Repeated Treatments

+1
Each treatment of an area eliminates approximately 20% of fat cells. A second treatment for a given area will provide similar results. The FDA approval and Clinical studies allow for a second treatment of the same area 30 days apart. Different areas can be treated with coolsculpting in less than 30 days. Consult with a board certified physician who can provide surgical and coolsculpting options to determine the best treatment plan for you.

Cool sculpting

+1
It works when you treat the area a second time.  You have to review your photos and maintain your weight to appreciate these results.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Results

+1
Coosculpting is an amazing technology.  What is most impressive about this laser is that it works on all patients. It reduces the fat in the treated area by 20 to 25% in a given area in every patient.  Repeat procedures for a given area give even better results.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in coolscupting for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

CoolSculpting

+1
With CoolSculpting, you should anticipate a 20% decrease in the treated fat wall layer at 8 weeks and a 25% decrease at 6 months. This volume loss was studied, evaluating patients’ fat wall layer with ultrasound measurements prior to treatment and in the post-treatment period. The percentage of fat removed by a second treatment in the same area should be the same; however, the actual volume removed with each subsequent treatment would be less.

Warren Schutte, MD
Fort Collins General Surgeon

Coolsculpting consistently reduces ~20% of treated fat

+1
Coolsculpting is relatively consistent in reducing ~ 20% of the treated fat.  This consistency does not mean that any given patient will lose the same number of fat cells with every treatment, regardless of the size of the probe or the size of the patient.  It means that the cold will permanently destroy ~ 20% of the fat cells that are between the two plates of the applicator.  

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Multiple CoolSculpting Treatments

+1
What a great question.  I have been impressed by the reliability and reproducibility of this procedure. Every time it is performed, whether on the same area, a different area of the same person, or on a different patient, I see results that clinically are consistent with the 20 to 26% reduction in living adipocytes (fat cells) in the treated area, that studies have shown occurs with each treatment.

Patients may have an impression of some variability, but this has more to do with the size of the applicator, or the way in which it was applied. In addition, the thickness of your fat affects the amount of skin that can be taken up into the applicator by vacuum pressure. If you have a lot of fat, and by that I mean much more than average, it is possible that less will be taken up into the applicator and your treatment size will be smaller, and you will have less if a result for the same treatment. So these factors affect the size of the treatment area, and the size of the treatment area is really the only important variable in determining your results.  But even if you do have a lot of fat, if you treat the same area 3 to 4 months later, the fat layer is now thinner and you actually get a BETTER effect because more is taken up in the applicator. Am I making sense?  Like most things we do in medicine, it's complicated.  Your dermatologist can assess you, using calipers and the pinch test, and tell you whether the amount of fat you have is likely to limit the amount that is taken up into the applicator.

There is something of an art to determining the optimal treatment plan, because CoolSculpting is most successful, as the name suggests, as a sculpting of the areas of excess fat.  It helps to have many different applicators available to you to get the best and most natural-looking results.

I hope I have answered your question.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD