Is CoolSculpting with Zeltiq a Good Idea for Me? (Male, Abdomen & Chest)

I have been training for the last 3 months hard eating right and training in mma, judo , and jiu-jitsu i feel great. But my belly and man breast refuse to leave. I have been weight training and trying not to drop to fast so i stay tight but, its killing me. Would it be a good idea to try CoolSculpting with Zeltiq or should i just stay on my course.

CoolSculpting for men

Gynecomastia by definition is proliferation of male breast tissue.  While  I do not expect that CoolSculpting will reduce fibrous breast tissue,  CoolSculpting may have the effect in some patients of reducing breast area subcutaneous fat excess.

We are currently studying CoolSculpting on men's breasts in my practice.  I am hoping that men with excellent skin tone no nipple or areola irregularities and a small amount of unwanted fat in the breast area could achieve positive results with CoolSculpting.  Although this is something I am studying,  we are currently not offering CoolSculpting for male breast reduction  to the general population.

If you do elect to have this are treated, I would strongly suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs a significant number of gynecomastia surgery procedures in addition to offering CoolSculpting.

There are certainly some cases of gynecomastia that would NOT benefit, and could potentially be worsened by treatment with CoolSculpting alone.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting For Men

CoolSculpting works great for active men who do not want the down time of surgery and liposuction.  Although based on your pictures, you have a lot of loose skin that CoolSculpting does not address well, you may need some skin removal procedures.  I have had my breasts treated with CoolSculpting and had great results!!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Male Breast Tissue

Zeltiq CoolSculpting is a good non-surgical option to help reduce some of the excess volume in your chest.  However, Zeltiq will NOT address any glandular tissue - it will reduce only what is fat.  That being said, I highly recommend you come in for a consultation to determine how much of your tissue is fat and how much is glandular.  We will know upon exam what kind of realistic result you can expect.  We have had great success when treating gynocomastia in the past - though patient selection is key. 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolsculpting for breast and abdomen

I would say based on your photos, that Coolscultping is an option for you.  You may want need several treatments to cover the entire abdomen and may need to repeat the treatment in the breast area.  One concern based on the photos is whether you have more skin laxity in breast region and whether this will recoil back once the volume is reduced.  I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in both Coolsculpting and surgery so you can have an informed consultation.

CoolSculpting for Men

Since adding CoolSculpting to my practice I have witnessed an incredible shift in my patient population. I have traditionally seen almost all women with about 4% of my practice being male. Most of whom by the way are in some way related to or in a relationship with a female patient of mine. CoolSculpting has been amazing in that 40% of the patients that we are treating with this awesome technology are men. To speak to your concerns independently It definitely looks like you would be an ideal candidate for treatment in the abdominal area, the gynecomastia aspect (chest) we would generally address surgically in our practice but it is possible that you could be a candidate for CoolSculpting in that area pending a consultation to determine how much of the breast tissue is fat vs glandular. I will say though that in general I do tend to see the best result for gynecomastia with surgery.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Coolsculpting can treat male abdomen and chest

I have personally seen great results from Coolsculpting treatments to the male abdomen and chest. What you need to know is that the male chest is composed of both breast tissue and actual fat. Coolsculpting will only address the fat, and not the breast tissue. Therefore, I recommend you meet with a Coolsculpting provider to evaluate your body and determine whether Coolsculpting could be a possible treatment for the areas you are describing. Best of luck. 

David P. Rapaport, MD

Coolsculpting for Male Breast Reduction

Male breast reduction is not an area that the FDA has approved for coolsculpting. However, the results for fat reduction in the male breasts can be excellent at a properly expert coolsculpting center. Coolsculpting is not designed to treat glandular tissue. Patient selection is key. Consult with a board certified physician who offers surgical options and coolsculpting to determine which option is best for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting and male breast tissue

Cool sculpting can be used to treat male chest areas that are fatty.  They will be unable to do anything with breast tissue.  You should be seen and examined to evaluate the tissue and understand your options.

CoolSculpting Will Not Treat Sagging Skin

Coolsculpting is a relatively new procedure that has high satisfaction rates. The procedure is most effective when treating small localized collections of fat. Results are excellent with this procedure, but dependent upon appropriate patient selection.

Although coolsculpting would probably remove fat from both your abdomen and chest, these areas should be approached with caution for several reasons. Your pictures suggest laxity of your breast and abdomen skin. Coolsculpting could potentially result in significant skin sag that might require a skin resection.

In addition, you may have a condition known as gynecomastia. When this occurs there’s actual growth of the breast tissue. Under these circumstances coolsculpting may not be effective.

For these reasons, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon, should be able to help you decide which option is best for you. 

Thank you for your question. Based on the information you shared, I believe CoolSculpting would be your best option. CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Of course, your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation. Best of luck!