Coolsculpting Results and Studies?

I've been researching the time frame of how long Coolsculpting results are supposed to last and read the following, "Patients experiencing fat layer reduction show persistent results at least six months after the Zeltiq Procedure. Longer term studies have not been completed." I am confused about the 6 month point. Are they saying results only last 6 months? How can they even prove that the fat cells have been eliminated from the body? If they are eliminated, are they eliminated via stools/urine?

CoolSculpting provides long term fat reduction

+1

I have many patients who have not seen any fat return for more than two years after their CoolSculpting fat loss. This Zeltiq device kills the fat cells by freezing them and they are then engulfed by macrophages which help carry them away.

The remaining fat cells could engorge more fat if someone were to consume too many calories after their treatment. CoolSculpting is not a replacement for diet and exercise.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

CoolSculpting is FDA Cleared

+1

Coolsculpting is FDA cleared to eliminate fat. The lymphatic system is involved in processing the treated fat which is why we offer CoolSculpting in Raleigh NC includes a CoolSculpting Complete treatment that incorporates Vibrational therapy to help enhance the lymphatic system. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting results

+1

In theory, the fat that is destroyed by Coolsculpting technique is not reproduced and thus is permanently removed.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Visit the manufactures’ website (Zeltiq®) to view the associated studies

+1

Dear Confused,

I’m sorry you’re having difficulty in your research, but I’m pleased to hear that you’re doing your part in ensuring it’s an appropriate procedure for your cosmetic needs.  In regards to your study quote, I believe they are stipulating that long-term results have not yet been comprehensively studied as CoolSculpting® is a relatively new treatment, introduced to American consumers only a year ago.  Like liposuction, CoolSculpting® does permanently destroy the targeted, unwanted fat cells; however, the remaining fat cells still maintain their ability to expand with weight gain.  Additionally, the patients most suited for CoolSculpting® are those with very small, isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant fat on the abdomen and/or flanks.   I encourage you to visit the manufactures’ website (Zeltiq®) to view the studies associated directly with CoolSculpting® for more detail on your elimination question.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Results

+1
Thank you for your question. Typically, each CoolSculpting treatment results in a noticeable reduction of fat in the treated area. After the initial treatment is complete, you can attain further reductions with additional treatments, resulting in even more fat loss. Some patients find that just one treatment fully addresses their goals. You and your doctor will discuss and design a plan that suits you best.

You may start to see changes as quickly as three weeks after your treatment, and will experience the most dramatic results after two months. But your body will still flush out fat cells and continues doing so for up to four to six months after treatment.

When you have your CoolSculpting treatment, the affected fat cells will be eliminated. As long as you maintain your weight with your normal diet and exercise, your long-term results should remain stable.

Daniel Shapiro, MD