Can I Have CoolSculpting Procedure While on Coumadin?

I'm a 46 yr old male in about as good as shape as I can get but still have pretty large love handles from when I was a heavy kid. Went on Coumadin at 40 from PE....found I have genetic prothrombin gene 20210a mutation (factor II ). I have no problems with Coumadin...do not bleed more, do not bruise any worse, fast cardio & weights daily and INR stable for 6 years...no changing doses. Can I have cool sculpting; if not, can I come off & do lovenox regime until day of procedure? Thanks much!

Coolsculpting is safe if on Coumadin

+2

There has been no reported adverse reactions if on Coumadin when having Coolsculpting.  The only side effect is the possibility of increased brusing which subsides within a couple of weeks.  This would be a great option for you to reduce unwanted fat safely.

Coolsculpting and coumadin

+2

There will be increased risk of bruising while on coumadin and undergoing Coolsculpting. However, given your history of hypercoagulability I would recommend that you get medical clearance from a hematologist before undergoing this typically safe procedure.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolscupting and Coumadin

+1
There is no contraindication for patients on Coumadin. Increased bruising may be an issue. Please report your health history to the physician so it can be given careful consideration.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Zeltiq CoolSculpting and Coumadin blood thinner

+1

There is no absolute contraindication of which I am aware that precludes one from having CoolSculpting if they take Coumadin.  An INR should be checked briefly before the procedure to be sure that no unusual effect on Coumadin has taken place which can happen from taking over-the-counter medication and consuming different dietary items. Bruising is expected as the suction with CoolSculpting causes as hickey-like effect, but if the INR is out of range, then it is best to defer the treatment with CoolSculpting.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

Coolsculpting and Coumadin

+1

Greetings~

Patients can have some bruising when doing Coolsculpting sojust know that your chances of bruising would likely be increased.  Bruising does not effect results in any way but it is definitely something to consider if you are planning to be shirtless soon after treatment and don't want to have an explaining to do about rectangular bruises on your sides.  Always best to run any treatments you are considering by the physician that is managing your coumadin therapy as an abundance of caution.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD