Will Coolsculpting on my Admonen in Any Way Affect my Fertility?

I would like to have coolsculpting done on my abdomen, mostly my stomach. I have not had children yet and would like to in the next few years. Will this procedure affect my fertility, ovarian reserve, or any of my reproductive organs? Seeing this is a relatively new procedure with no long term studies completed, we might not know what, if any, are the long term effects. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Kerri

CoolSculpting and Fertility

+1
You should rest assured that CoolSculpting does not affect any internal organs whatsoever, and cannot affect fertility, including your internal organs. The chill that is part of the therapeutic effect simply does not reach any of the internal organs.

I wish you well in becoming a parent: being a mother is the most important and rewarding of all of life's events!

Coolsculpting does not affect ovaries during fat loss

+1

The CoolSculpting device does not freeze organs behind the abdominal muscle wall such as the ovaries. On the other hand, it has been well documented in the medical literature that some very thin women have had infertility difficulty related to a signficant loss of body fat. Such a small percent of fat could not be caused by just having CoolSculpting alone, but it wouldn't be recommended in a thin woman who already is having difficulty becoming pregnant without consulting one's gynecologist.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting and Fertility

+1

CoolSculpting is FDA cleared to eliminate fat by freezing it without damaging the surounding tissue. There is no reason to believe that CoolSculpting will have any effect on fertility.

In my practice, we state that women electing to have Coolsculpting treatments not be pregnant, lactating, or trying to become pregnant

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting will not affect fertility

+1
Hi Kerri! Coolsculpting will not affect your fertility or any of your internal organs. It is only treating the outer layer of fat even if you are thin. It is "freezing" at a temperature that is specific for the fat molecules in the fat cells. If it was used incorrectly then there is a risk of frostbite to the skin but still no risk of damaging your internal organs. Good luck!

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Too new to gauge long-term implications; thus highlighting importance of experienced provider

+1

Hi Ker0303,
CoolSculpting® is an FDA-cleared non-surgical fat reduction treatment for the abdomen and flanks; thus the Food and Drug Administration has deemed it a safe treatment for these areas if the manufacturer’s instructions are carefully followed and the technology is used as intended.  While this technology has not been available to consumers long enough to gauge any long-term complications in relation to fertility, the fact that the treatment only affects subcutaneous fat makes these suspicions dubious.  It is important, however, to only pursue CoolSculpting® treatment from an experienced provider as equipment misuse can produce other unwanted side effects.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Fertility

+1

There is no evidence that Coolsculpting will have any effect on Fertility. It is an excellent treatment but you should consult with your physician to insure you are a candidate.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon