Coolsculpting Lipo or Smart Lipo For Love Handles?

I had full tummy tuck with lipo - tummy, flanks, thighs, hips 2 yrs ago. Totally happy with my results! I work out regularly (weights, nautilus, running/5k's and treadmill). I am 55 yrs old, 5' 5", have maintined my goal weight of 124 (was 201 lbs. 7 yrs ago; 155 lbs. when had surgery). I typically wear a sz. sm. shirt, sz. 0 or 2 slacks/jeans. My issue - with slacks/jeans fitting perfect, I have some love handle roll-over. It's not visible from front, but is from back. Recommendations?

Love Handles

+1
While we do liposuction, coolsculpting and smartlipo, my preference is coolsculpting or liposuction for love handles. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can offer coolsculpting, smartlipo, and traditional liposuction to determine the best treatment option for you.

Treatment For Love Handles

+1
CoolSculpting can have great results for love handles. It is a noninvasive procedure with no downtime. If the area has pliable fat, the area can usually be treated with an applicator that suctions the skin and fat into the cooling panels. Each cycle is 1 hour and the number of cycles you will need varies upon the amount of fat in the treatment area. As long as you don't have excess skin in the area, CoolSculpting can offer substantial results. It is always best to have a consultation to assess if you are a good candidate for treatment and determine how many cycles you will need for best results, and also determine if CoolSculpting is the right procedure for your needs.

Steven H. Williams, MD

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction for fat removal

+1

You would need an examination to determine if there is lax skin or indeed, extra fat that can be removed. Once that is determined, your doctor would have to see if one of the CoolSculpting applicators could fit the area that you wish to reduce. Fortunately, there are many different applicators that some doctors have compared with only 3 that were available when the machine came on the market. Now with the CoolCurve Plus and the CoolFit flat applicator, we are able to treat more regions.

The decision to have liposuction vs. CoolSculpting could involve concerns of having surgery and downtime, and concern of risks, and the physical examination.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting for Love handles muffin top

+1

You sound like you could be an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting. Since you are happy with the results of your tummy tuck, perhaps you could get an opinion from your plastic surgeon. if he or she does not offer CoolSculpting, you may wish to get a consultation from a plastic surgeon in your area offering both liposuction and CoolSculpting so you will get the best advice about what is best for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting works well on love handles.

+1

The best candidates for Coolsculpting are patients with diet and exercise resistant fat bulges.  Just pinch your love handles and check that you can pinch an inch of fat. If you can then this non invasive procedure may be perfect for you. You may also be an excellent candidate for Smart Lipo and traditional lipo however those are minimally and moderately invasive procedures with surgical risks. Find a board certified Plastic Surgeon you can trust who will carefully evaluate your love handles and what procedure will give you the best result for the best risk and cost profile.

Laurie Casas, MD

CoolSculpting for Love Handles

+1
CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Therefore, you sound like a great candidate. Your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting for love handles

+1

We have 2 years of experience with Coolsculpting and the love handles are an excellent area to treat with this technique. It is consistently excellent in properly selected patients.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting vs. Lipo for Love Handles?

+1

A physical examination will be the key to determining the best way to improve the appearance of your “love handles”. I would suggest that you be examined by a well experienced plastic surgeon who has all modalities of treatment available to him/her so that you are not steered towards a specific treatment modality.

Coolsculpting is used for isolated pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.  This is a non-invasive procedure with no down time that results in 20-25% reduction of the fat in the area treated. Repeated treatments may be necessary/ helpful.  The biggest positive factor for Coolsculpting is "no down time" and "no anesthesia".

Generally, cool sculpting is not as affective as liposuction surgery in that a smaller percentage of adipose tissue is removed;  however, in my opinion  cool sculpting may have the benefit of allowing slower skin contraction to occur ( as the adipose tissue gradually is eliminated as opposed to rapid elimination with liposuction surgery).

Again, in person examination will be in your best interests.

Coolsculpting is a great non surgical procedure for the love handles

+1
Coolsculpting was designed for someone physically fit who has certain problem areas.  It works within two months to see permanent results. My patients prefer this treatment because it is painless with no down time.  Smart lipo is a surgical procedure which you need anesthetic and can have complications. My patients prefer to walk out of the office and resume regular activities the same day.

Michele S. Green, MD