Can Coolsculpting Be Applied to an Area a Week After Having Invasive Surgery in the Same Area?

I just had an implant deep inside my tissues reduced. Swelling is pretty bad, with very slight bruising, hardly noticeable to be honest. Can I have coolsculpting done in that same area a week after? Or how long do I have to wait?

CoolSculpting after surgery

+1

No studies have been performed on patients having Coolsculpting immediately following surgery.  Most offices and the manufacturer would suggest waiting a significant period of time before trying Coolsculpting

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after unrelated surgery

+1

We have been performing Coolsculpting since FDA approval three years ago.

Coolsculpting should not be used over prior surgical sites, hernias or scars. Complications may occur if done so.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after a surgery

+1

First and foremost, you should ask the advice of the surgeon that performed your procedure.  Your surgeon knows best about what exactly was done to your body and therefore what the potential risks of applying significant suction as well as cold. A week is definitely too soon and you should not have treatment before the swelling has completely resolved.

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolsculpting after surgery

+1

I would advise you to wait until your surgical site heals and is no longer tender or swollen. Coolsculpting uses a very strong vacuum that could disturb the area that has been worked on. It also causes inflammation and tenderness to the treated area. I would strongly encourage you to wait.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

CoolSculpting for fat reduction may increase complications from other procedures done in the same area & still tender

+1

You would need to check with your surgeon. It's usually not a good idea to treat an area with CoolSculpting if the same area has just been operated on and still tender and swollen from a different procedure. Rarely, CoolSculpting by Zeltiq in our NYC practice can produce extreme sensitivity in patients who had no prior procedure and no prior tenderness or swelling. I would expect these symptoms from other procedures done in the same area as the proposed CoolSculpting for fat loss, to be exacerbated by the CoolSculpting. You should wait until all the symptoms from the first procedure are resolved before having CoolSculpting.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD