Coolsculpting applicator not completely filled, but suction is intact. Does that = less effective fat freezing?

During my treatment with the large applicator, I noticed that the skin fold did not reach the back of the applicator--in other words, the applicator had enough suction to stay on but was only about 60% filled. Does the skin fold being treated have to reach the back of the applicator for good results? Does the cooling only occur between the two plates or is there another cooling panel at the back of the applicator?

CoolSculpting and the applicator

+1
Coolsculpting is a wonderful method of freezing areas of fat and reducing fat in a bulge by up to 25%.  Coolsculpting can be used in the abdomen, flanks, thighs (inner and outer), among other areas.  Patients are so happy that they often return for a second area of treatment.  I recommend this treatment to patients who cannot reduce a bulge even after diet and exercise.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with CoolSculpting.

CoolSculpting Applicator Capacity

+1
The draw depends on a few factors.  Soft, pliable fatty tissue will get a better draw than dense tissue.  On a small framed person, the Max applicator can cover quite a large area and 60% capacity is excellent.  For some patients with a wider frame,my staff will choose to use the Max applicator side by side on the lower abdomen to cover the entire area that needs to be treated. 

My practice in Raleigh, NC is a top provider of CoolSculpting and able to offer buy one get one free rebates.  This is helpful especially for patients who need more treatments to get the coverage their body needs.  My practice has two CoolSculpting machines so we can do multiple treatments simultaneously. 

Only the fat that is drawn into the applicator will be treated by CoolSculpting.  It is important to choose a provider who is experienced and skilled in choosing the right candidates for this treatment and finding the best treatment plan to give you the best results possible.

You can find more information about our practice and our CoolSculpting instant rebates on my website.  I also offer CoolSculpting Complete which includes a compression garment to wear post treatment for comfort and vibrational therapy which increases lymphatic drainage to eliminate fat cells.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Applicator cooling

+1

The amount of fat and fold size is variable from person to person.  With this in mind the applicator will not always be filled entirely.  The cooling panels are only on the panels and not on the back of the applicator.  Results are most often effective. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

How The CoolSculpting Applicator Freezes Fat

+1
When looking at the coolsculpting applicator, the freezing panels are located on the sides of the applicator. During the coolsculpting treatment the fat that is suctioned up into the area of the cooling panels is the fat that is frozen. There may often be gaps near the ends of the applicator depending on the shape of each person's body. As long as there is a good seal when the applicator is applied and the applicator does not lose suction then the treatment will be effective.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Is CoolSculpting less effective if applicator not completely filled?

+1

There can be some variation from person to person in the amount of fat that is drawn into the CoolSculpting applicator but this does not make the treatment less effective for some over others.  The cooling panels are on the sides of the applicator and there is not a cooling panel on the back, so the fat does not need to to reach the back of the applicator to work correctly.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon