Can Coolsculpt Results Be Monitored Using a Body Fat Percentage Scale?

To me, weight loss is not the best way to monitor this but rather a body fat monitor (weight can fluctuate with water retention, muscle gain, etc). Can the results be objectified using this device before and after? Has this ever been documented?

Body fat measurement with CoolSculpting fat loss

+1

I'm not aware of this technique being done nor am I certain that it would reveal significant figures as the amount of fat lost in one area compared to the whole body content is small. Ultrasound measurements done during the FDA studies revealed that 80% of patients had 20% reduction in the adipose (fat) layer volume at the four month period after one CoolSculpting treatment.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Body fat percentage

+1
Interesting question - I have not seen this idea presented in the medical literature.  However, ultrasound imaging can directly measuring the thickness of the fat layer before and after the treatment has been used.  It's a very good way to assess the localized changes - and it clearly shows that Coolsculpting works.
Total body fat percentage may not be sensitive enough to look at localized changes in a small zone.  I'll have to look into that...

Thomas Fiala, MD

Best way to measure Coolscultping

+1

I believe the best way to measure the results of Coolsculpting is to monitor before and after shaping in an objective photography. Keep in mind this is shaping procedure not a weight loss procedure.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Fat Loss

+1

That is an interesting question. In my Raleigh, NC CoolSculpting practice, we have not measured the difference in before and afters with a fat percentage scale.  You are correct that CoolSculpting is not a procedure designed to result in significant weight loss, rather stubborn areas of fat.

In order to provide elimination of fat as quickly as possible we do offer CoolSculpting Complete. This includes two systems, for twice the fat elimination in a one hour period. Vibrational therapy increases circulation and lymphatic drainage which my help waste, including damaged fat cells be eliminated with the body more efficiently. Finally, al of our patients receive a compression garment to help with skin quality and comfort. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Body Fat

+1

This is a very interesting question, but to my knowledge there have not been any studies that monitor body fat like that with respect to CoolSculpting.  The point of the procedure, however, is to bring down bulges in specific areas, and in my practice we have seen phenomenal success with this- CoolSculpting works very well!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon