Coolsculpt or Laser Lipo for Upper or Lower Abdomen? (photo)

Hi - I'm 5'8" and about 180 lbs and thinking about body contouring. One option I'm looking at is Coolsculpt to reduce the excess fat in my abdominal area. I'm weighing that option against laser liposuction and wondering which procedure will give me the best results. My expectations are that I do not expect to have a washboard stomach. However, I would like to de-bulk as much excess fat as reasonably possible on my abdominal area and weighing options in terms of cost, minimal downtime, and pain.

CoolSculpting vs Laser Liposuction

+2

It's hard to give you a definite recommendation but just looking at your pictures you will get a better result from laser liposuction.  With CoolSculpting you will get a 20% reduction of fat.  Laser liposuction can give you 60-80% fat reduction.  Depending on the physician and what type of laser liposuction they offer will determine the cost, downtime and pain factors.  In our practice we offer SmartLipo Triplex.  You may want to visit the Cynosure SmartLipo Triplex web site to find a doctor near you that offers that technique.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipo vs coolsculpting

+1
Laser Liposuction would give you a stronger result. You can be more aggressive with the endpoint, especially if you are considering general anesthesia. In addition you'll get some skin retraction with the laser Lipo suction that you would not get with Coolsculpting. Good luck

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Fat loss with liposuction, CoolSculpting, diet and exercise or need tummy tuck also

+1

There are many components of a consultation for fat removal. The anatomy needs to be examined to see if there is a looseness of the supporting structure called the fascia around the abdominal muscles. This diastasis could cause a prominent bowing forward of the muscles and if this is not addressed in some in patients, no matter how much liposuction or CoolSculpting they have, they won't get a good response. 

Other individuals can get very good reduction with one liposuction or a series of CoolSculpting treatments, although with the latter, we've learned that overlapping the applicators and performing more zones of treatment truly sculpts the area better than using only one applicator. This can add to the time of treatment and the cost but the results can be very good for some patients. 

Neither liposuction nor CoolSculpting are replacements for diet and exercise because if you don't consume the right number of calories and don't burn off the excess, you will put weight on again, regardless of the treatment chosen. Liposuction has some risks, as does the CoolSculpting so discuss them with your doctor. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting for abdomen

+1

Thank you for sharing the photos. The very best way to receive the best advice is with a personal consultation with a plastic surgeon. Looking at your photos I do not think you would be an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting at this time. Liposuction could possibly be a great option, but if you have fullness in the abdomen due to muscle separation, a tummy tuck would be the answer.

It is also possible that you could lose some weight on your own and then find that you could be a better candidate for CoolSculpting once you are closer to your goal weight. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Additional weight loss vs liposuction and tummy tuck

+1
Hello, Thank you for the photos. You have several options. Additional weight loss is one. If you desire a body contouring treatment circumferential liposuction and possibly a tummy tuck would likely give you the best result. I think laser lipo or coolsculpting alone may not provide you with the result that you may desire. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Ideal CoolSculpting Candidate

+1

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation. Typically, CoolSculpting results in a 20-25% reduction of fat. I believe you would receive better, more dramatic results from laser liposuction. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD