Coolglide or Candela Gentle Yag for Dark Hair/skin

I've tried Coolglide for years and now I feel as though it is no longer working for me. I've recently had 2 treatments with the Candela Gentle Yag. I can see the hairs falling out & between treatments (9 weeks) barely any hair has grown back. However, I do have dark pigmented spots where the Candela was used. The hyper-pigmentation starts to decrease over the weeks but is it damaging? Which laser will (1) reduce hair growth most effectively and (2) is the safest for skin type V-VI?

CoolGlide and GentleYag both safe and effective for laser hair reduction, including darker skin types

+1

Both, the CoolGlide and GentleYag are safe and effective for laser hair reduction, including in darker skin type patients. Typically, the coolglide by itself is quite effective and you would not need to change to any other laser for further reduction. However, a small percentage of patients experience paradoxical (unexpected) hair regrowth after initial improvement with laser hair reduction. This may be your case. The GentleYag is also an excellent choice for laser hair removal. Typically, I would have tried a laser with a different wavelength since you did not have significant further hair reduction with the CoolGlide (CoolGlide and GentleYag are the same wavelength - type of light). However, with appropriate energy levels you should have good results. Yet, as the energy level increases in order to maximize results, the greater the chances of skin inflammation and burns, with subsequent pigment changes. The darker patches typically resolve completely with bleaching creams. Lastly, your physician or laser technician will probably adjust (increase) cryogen levels (cooling spray) if you have developed hyperpigmentation with the energy settings previously used. And very important, practice sun avoidance (and sun protection) for several weeks after your next laser hair reduction treatment.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon