Physician's Asst Wouldn't do CoolSculpting on me Because she Thought I had a Hernias, How Can she Tell?

I had an appt for cool sculpting. After everything was set up and I was undressed, a Physician's Asst came in and felt around my abdominal area. She told me they couldn't do the procedure b/c she thought I had a hernia. Can a hernia be detected simply by feeling the abdominal area?

Hernia Diagnosis

+2

Thank you for your question.  Yes, an abdominal hernia can be diagnosed by physical examination.  If you have questions because a physician assistant diagnosed it, I would recommend maybe going back and speaking with the doctor.  Best Wishes!

Hernias sometimes can be found by manual examination prior to CoolSculpting

+2

Some hernias are palpated on examination and if a physician or physician's assistant says that you shouldn't have the CoolSculpting you should trust them that they are looking out for your best interest.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting.... if you have a hernia?

+2

CoolSculpitng....

Can a doctor diagnose a hernia just by examining a patient? Yep, you sure can!  That's the way hernias are diagnosed if you are thin enough to feel it.  Sometimes an imaging study is used to confirm this, but exam is all that is often necessary.  I would not say that you couldn't have Coolsculpting done, you just can't treat over top of the hernia.  You can treat anywhere else though. 

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Cool Sculpting Over Herniated Area

+1

Dear Susan,

Cool Sculpting cannot be applied over a herniated area as it will make it worse. That said, your PA or your physician will be able to diagnose a hernia by simple examinations.

So, it is of your best interest to fix the issue and then wait for it to heal completely so you can undergo the cool sculpting treatment with the lowest risk possible.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS