Cool Sculpt, Fat Transfer and Stem Cells?

I'm considering coolscupt and also want to keep my options open for future fat grafting. Will the cool sculpting affect the quality of the remaining fat? Will it still be possible to harvest stem cells from the fat left behind?

Fat grafting may not work well if taken from an area that had fat loss with CoolSculpting

+1

If a patient desired to have fat grafting, the donor area would not be one that had undergone CoolSculpting as there would not be much fat left in that site. If there were still an adequate amount of fat there, research has not been done to determine if the residual adipocytes (fat cells) that did not die, are robust enough to survive the harvest and transplant to a new site and survive there. One theory could be that those residual cells are partially traumatized and not as likely to survive as those cells not residing in areas that were previously treated with CoolSculpting. Interestingly, another theory could be postulated, that those cells surviving after being in an area frozen by CoolSculpting, might have a greater survival potential. Until the scientific method were used to answer this question, I would imagine that one reduces their potential of donor fat cells in the locations undergoing CoolSculpting.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

Coolsculpting

+1

Coolsculpting works great in properly selected patients and typically results in a 20-25% reduction in targeted fat. The fat cells treated die. I would not harvest cells from the areas treated with Coolsculpting.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon