How Can I Control Overactive Armpit Swetting?

Miradry treatments for axillary hyperhidrosis

Hyperhidrosis of the armpits can be controlled with Miradry treatments. I am an expert in Miradry and have co-authored a book on the subject. Experience is key. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Botox and Precision Tx

As this is a very common annoyance among many people, here in our office we offer Botox injections for a temporary solution to your excessive sweating as well as sweat glad ablation with out Precision Tx laser for a permenant result 

Our office specializes in Miraday. Miradry just got FDA clearance for elimination of all hair colors under the arm. It also has clearance for the elimination of underarm sweating and odor.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Controlling overactive armpit sweating

In our office, we have had good experience with Botox injections to the armpits.  I have had a couple of patients tell me it is the first time they wore a powder blue shirt in years.  The red carpet models also like to do this before big events. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

MiraDry for armpit sweating

miraDry can be a very effective treatment for underarm sweating. Many will see a significant reduction after one treatment, but may require a second treatment to get complete relief.  I used to do a number of surgeries under the armpit to reduce sweating. Now I only do this as a backup if miraDry fails.

Precision Tx for axillary hyperhidrosis

Precision Tx has the advantage of being a one-time permanent treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis.  It is a bit more invasive than injections or external treatments, but is still done with only a 3mm incision as in an office procedure under local.  The recovery is minimal, it's FDA approved, and the results have been great.

Treatment for sweatting in the armpit.

Overactive armpit sweating, Hyperhidrosis, is an actual medical diagnosis. There are prescriptions and antiperspirants available that work only if being used. Neurotoxins (I.E. Botox) will provide relief for 6-12 months; and recently Cellulaze has been approved by the FDA as effective treatment for Hyperhidrosis.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Treatment for excessive armpit sweating

Treatment for excessive armpit sweating
Currently the available treatments include Botox, MiraDry, and minimally invasive techniques such as thermae RF or precision TX which use either radiofrequency or laser treatments to heat up and kill t the sweat glands.

Treatment for armpit swetting

Dysport® injections are the easiest and best way to control hyperdydrosis, or overactive underarm sweating. With numbing cream, injections are painless, take less than 15 minutes to perform and results can last more than a year.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox or miraDry

I assume that you have exhausted all over the counter treatments such as Driclor (aluminium chloride hexahydrate). The next 2 steps are-

1. Botox. You will require 40-50 units under each armpit. It lasts 3-4 months for most people (despite company claims of 6.3 months), HOWEVER with repeated treatments, it can last up to 12 months. I conduct 5-6 treatments of Botox for HH per day, and find that duration of euhydrosis (no sweating) extremely variable. 

2.miraDry- you will require 2 treatments spaced 3 months apart. It is not as good as Botox (Botox is like a light switch- either you sweat, or no sweat, some people have reduction of sweating.)miraDry on the other hand gives you 80+% sweat reduction. The advantage of miraDry is that its a permeant treatment - unlike Botox. 

3. The very very last resort is ETS surgery- not recommended due to side effects such as rebound or compensatory sweating. Up to 50-60% of patients will have this problem. 

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim 
Hyperhidrosis expert dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist