How Can I Control Overactive Armpit Swetting?

Treatment for sweatting in the armpit.

+1
Overactive armpit sweating, Hyperhidrosis, is an actual medical diagnosis. There are prescriptions and antiperspirants available that work only if being used. Neurotoxins (I.E. Botox) will provide relief for 6-12 months; and recently Cellulaze has been approved by the FDA as effective treatment for Hyperhidrosis.

Treatment for excessive armpit sweating

+1
Treatment for excessive armpit sweating
Currently the available treatments include Botox, MiraDry, and minimally invasive techniques such as thermae RF or precision TX which use either radiofrequency or laser treatments to heat up and kill t the sweat glands.

Treatment for armpit swetting

+1
Dysport® injections are the easiest and best way to control hyperdydrosis, or overactive underarm sweating. With numbing cream, injections are painless, take less than 15 minutes to perform and results can last more than a year.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox or miraDry

+1
I assume that you have exhausted all over the counter treatments such as Driclor (aluminium chloride hexahydrate). The next 2 steps are-

1. Botox. You will require 40-50 units under each armpit. It lasts 3-4 months for most people (despite company claims of 6.3 months), HOWEVER with repeated treatments, it can last up to 12 months. I conduct 5-6 treatments of Botox for HH per day, and find that duration of euhydrosis (no sweating) extremely variable. 

2.miraDry- you will require 2 treatments spaced 3 months apart. It is not as good as Botox (Botox is like a light switch- either you sweat, or no sweat, some people have reduction of sweating.)miraDry on the other hand gives you 80+% sweat reduction. The advantage of miraDry is that its a permeant treatment - unlike Botox. 

3. The very very last resort is ETS surgery- not recommended due to side effects such as rebound or compensatory sweating. Up to 50-60% of patients will have this problem. 

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim 
Hyperhidrosis expert dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Botox for Excess Sweating or Hyperhidrosis

+1
Botox can be used to effectively reduce armpit sweating.  The treatment usually needs to be repeated every 6 to 8 months.  I have used Botox to reduced sweating in quite a few patients with excellent results.

Scott Greenberg, MD

Precision Tx and Hyperhydrosis

+1

Consider a minor in office procedure called Precision 
Tx that cooks the sweat glands.  The results have been really positive.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Precision Tx for Underarm Hyperhidrosis

+1
As discussed below, there are several options available for treating axillary hyperhidrosis.  These options can range from simply using a prescription strength topical antiperspirant to a more invasive procedure.  Our office has seen great results with a new treatment called Precision Tx.  This is a minimally invasive procedure, performed in the office under local anesthesia.  During the treatment, a laser is inserted under the skin.  This laser gently but effectively ablates the sweat glands.  As a result, patients notice a significant and long lasting improvement in their sweating.  Studies have shown patients still have a significant improvement after 1-2 years.  Underarm sweating  can be a frustrating condition, but an experienced provider can discuss the many options available and determine what will best meet your needs.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis Treatment Options

+1
Thank you for your question.  Excessive armpit sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis, is a common problem.  There are several treatment options available ranging from topical   antiperspirants to surgical sweat gland removal.  Botox is a popular treatment but unfortunately the results last only 6-12 months.  miraDry is an electro-magnetic treatment that can provide significant improvement and is performed in a physician's office, offering long term reduction in sweating.  One of the newer treatments, Precision TX is a minimally invasive surgical laser procedure that can permanently destroy the axillary sweat glands for a long term correction.  Fortunately, there are more options than ever for treating excessive sweating. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Botox and miraDry for Axillary Hyperhidrosis

+1
We have a unique center in that we provide every treatment for hyperhidrosis. As such, we believe that the miraDry and Botox are the best available therapies in 2014. You can refer to my ebook about the miraDry procedure on the link below as it is free. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

MiraDry

+1
Botox can be used to treat hyperhidrosis, but it only lasts 4-6 months per treatment.  In my practice we use miraDry to help with axillary hyperhidrosis. 

Christopher Khorsandi, MD