How Can I Control Overactive Armpit Swetting?

Precision Tx for Underarm Hyperhidrosis

+1
As discussed below, there are several options available for treating axillary hyperhidrosis.  These options can range from simply using a prescription strength topical antiperspirant to a more invasive procedure.  Our office has seen great results with a new treatment called Precision Tx.  This is a minimally invasive procedure, performed in the office under local anesthesia.  During the treatment, a laser is inserted under the skin.  This laser gently but effectively ablates the sweat glands.  As a result, patients notice a significant and long lasting improvement in their sweating.  Studies have shown patients still have a significant improvement after 1-2 years.  Underarm sweating  can be a frustrating condition, but an experienced provider can discuss the many options available and determine what will best meet your needs.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis Treatment Options

+1
Thank you for your question.  Excessive armpit sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis, is a common problem.  There are several treatment options available ranging from topical   antiperspirants to surgical sweat gland removal.  Botox is a popular treatment but unfortunately the results last only 6-12 months.  miraDry is an electro-magnetic treatment that can provide significant improvement and is performed in a physician's office, offering long term reduction in sweating.  One of the newer treatments, Precision TX is a minimally invasive surgical laser procedure that can permanently destroy the axillary sweat glands for a long term correction.  Fortunately, there are more options than ever for treating excessive sweating. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Botox and miraDry for Axillary Hyperhidrosis

+1
We have a unique center in that we provide every treatment for hyperhidrosis. As such, we believe that the miraDry and Botox are the best available therapies in 2014. You can refer to my ebook about the miraDry procedure on the link below as it is free. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

MiraDry

+1
Botox can be used to treat hyperhidrosis, but it only lasts 4-6 months per treatment.  In my practice we use miraDry to help with axillary hyperhidrosis. 

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Hyperhidrosis Treatment

+1
There are topicals that you can apply that will help control excessive perspiration, however they do need to be applied several times for best results. I like to inject Botox for hyperhidrosis.

In 2004 Botox was FDA approved for treatment of hyperhidrosis. Botox temporarily blocks the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands, when glands don’t receive the signals, the severe sweating stops. Although it is not a cure for severe underarm sweating, treatment can last up to 6 months and some of my patients only return once a year for treatment.

After treatment you will notice a significant reduction in your underarm sweating within 4 weeks, your symptoms will gradually return over time and that is how you know you it’s time for another treatment. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this treatment is right for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox works very well.

+1
Many thanks for your question. Botox works extremely well for this condition however it does wear off with time. There are other surgical procedures which have limited control. Direct excision of the glands and liposuction of the Axilla have been utilized. Many thanks for your question and best of luck

Henry Mentz, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Axillae Sweating

+1
Excessive sweating of the body is referred to as hyperhidrosis.  This is a frustrating condition that can occur anywhere on the body with sweat glands, including the arms, hands, and feet.  Underarm sweating can be treated with several different medications or procedures.  There are prescription medications that can help decrease the amount of sweating.  Also, if you notice an odor with the sweating, you may have a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment.  Botox can also be injected in the armpits to decrease sweating.  A special starch test is first performed, so your provider can isolate the areas that produce the most sweat and target the treatment.  Discuss your concerns with your dermatologist, who can help you develop the best treatment plan for your needs. 

Aurora Badia, DO
Fort Myers Dermatologist

How to control overactive armpit sweating?

+1
There are some special types of topical products that can sometimes help with excessive sweating under the arms.  Another option would be to have Botox injections under the arms, which can reduce the sweating significantly.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon