Is There an Alternative to Contour Thread Lift?

I had a Contour Thread lift about 4 years ago. I actually had great results. As I have gotten older, I was actually hoping to have additional threads done to help my neck look younger. It looks like they are no longer made. Is there an alternative? I am 47 years old.

Alternative to facelift

+1

Thread lifts (contour lift) use permanent sutures that are placed under the skin. The names change based on marketing but the anatomical principle is the same. The results are temporary because they do not access the prime issue with ageing: Descent of the structures that contain muscles (fascia). In a facelift, the main fascial system is elevated and sutured to another fascial system which provides longer-lasting results because this is the strength layer.  While people are a bit anxious about getting a facelift, it has lasted for more than 30 years because is addresses the anatomy of ageing not the marketing hype of the time.  In the thread lift only the skin is elevated and as we all know, skin is elastic and over time sags.  The procedure can cost anywhere from $3-$6000 depending on your geographic locale.  As I mentioned, the sutures are permanent and if placed to superficial can cause irritation to the skin.  Good technique is always critical to the success of any surgical procedure. The best alternatives are always those tested over time: Facelift.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to assess what is best for you.

Thread lift alternative

+1

The problem you are having with the thread lift is quite common.  Many patients have found that they simply don't last.  At 43 years old it may have offered you some improvement in your face and neck.  Although it is impossible to tell without an exam or photo, you more likely would benefit from a facelift at this point, whether it is a mini-lift or a standard facelift.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can present the different options to you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Neck threads

+1

There are a few alternatives: mini-facelift, cheek lift, thread lifts for the neck.  Make sure you go see a board - certified plastic surgeon who is well - versed in cosmetic facial surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift is NOT Recommended

+1

When correctly performed, the thread lift procedure can certainly provide nice results in elevating the cheeks and jowls. Many patients even see improvement in their upper neck (under the chin region). However, the mid-neck to lower neck are really not adequately treated with the thread lift procedure. In my opinion, the thread lift sutures are simply not strong enough to withstand the daily forces of constant head turning.

As Dr. Trimas has noted, liposuction and minor skin exicision procedures can be helpful. However, in patients with crepey neck skin, a skin rejuvenation procedure with radoifrequency therapy (eg. Thermage or Accent) and/or fractional laser treatments can be quite helpful. We have also used laser liposuction (SLIM Lipo or SMART Lipo) to heat the tissues during the liposuction procedure and obtain tightening of the overlying skin.

In the event the muscles of the neck are "banding", your best bet is going to be a procedure that modfiies the muscles in the neck -- several options are available based on your anatomy.

Bottom line: In my opinion, patients shouldn't undergo a thread lift suture suspension procedure to treat the mid-to-lower neck region.

Adam Summers, MD

Surgical alternatives to Contour Thread lift procedures

+1

Surgical alternatives to Contour Thread lift procedures do exist. I performed several of those procedures with excellent results especially when accompanied by minor skin excision procedures or with judicious liposuction. There are other procedures that are also minor in nature and can be done in a similar fashion. Through several small incisions around the ear, looping type sutures can be used to elevate the neck and jaw line. In addition, the midface can be treated in a similar fashion with short incision types of procedures. There is also a procedure that is done with the Silouhette lift sutures which are similar to the Contour threads but are dissolvable. I do believe all of these minor procedures should be accompanied by some skin removal to achieve the best results especially if you are over the age of 45.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon