Continuous Capsular Contracture

I had revision surgery 3 months ago to fix capsular contracture I had developed on the left side. I had my new implants moved from above the muscle to below the muscle. Soon after surgery I developed capsular contracture on the right side. My Dr broke the capsule several times which worked temporarily but didn't last even with compression massage, Singulair, and Vitamin E. My surgeon has decided capsulectomy is the only way to fix it. What can I do so that this doesn't keep happening?

Unfortunatley there is no way to guarantee prevention of a capsular contracture.

+1

More advanced options for preventing a capsular contracture include reported use of a new implant and neopectoral pocket without the capsulectomy or placement of acellular dermal matrix (costly).

Breast capsules

+1

Breast capsular contractures are sometimes very tough to deal with, and if removing the capsule this time does not help, then you may want to remove them completely. no  one knows for sure why people get them.

Recurrent capsular contracture

+1

Capsular contracture can be a persistent dilema for some women. In cases of known infection, radiation, hematoma, or implant rupture, capsular contracture rates go up. However, there are women who will have repeated contractures for which we don't know why. For some women, dermal matrices such as Alloderm have shown to decrease contracture risk. If your contractures persist despite 2 operations involving capsulectomies and implant pocket change, you may need to forgo implants altogether. Also, I do not recommend "closed capsulotomies." This is the technique of squeezing the implant capsule to "break" the capsule  - this does not work and only increases the risk of implant rupture.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Might be best to remove breast implants after repeated capsular contractures

+1

Hi.

There are a very few women who keep getting capsular contractures no matter what we do, and we do not know why.  You can try one more time.  But then, you should seriously consider that maybe breast implants are just not for you.

By the way, squeezing the breasts to break up contractures is not a good idea. You can rupture the implants, and it voids the manufacturer's warranty.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You may benefit from implant removal and replacement after few months

+1

If you had normal augmentation with no hematoma or infection, then revision with the implant removal and capsulectomy will work 80% of the times. If you had hematoma,infection or other issues related to the surgery, you may have the implants removes and replaced after few months. The other option is implant removal and fat grafting if you re a candidate. I have been doing this for patients that had multiple implant failure with great success. you can check my web site for examples.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon