Do I Continue to Wear a Band to Lower Implants if my Incision Opened?

At week 3, my incision opened about 1/2". It does not seem infected and I am applying a wet gauge soaked in Epsom salt 3x a day. The doctor is keeping an eye on it and I understand the risks involved if the implant is exposed. However, my implants are also very high so I have been wearing a band and massages to help lower them. Do I continue doing this? I'm concerned it is putting unnecessary pressure on the opened incision. Lastly, what could cause it to re-open. I have been very careful.

Breast augmentation bands

+2

The breast augmentation band is there to hold the implant tight into the lower pocket to encourage relaxation of the breast envelope so the implant will 'drop'. With the breast incision open your procedure is a bit off course and you should keep close followup with your surgeon.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Stopping the use of a Bandeau after Breast Augmentation

+2

Your surgeon is responsible for your postoperative care. Shopping for different opinions on the internet will drive a wedge between you and your surgeon.

Thyat being said. I have not used bandeau pressure in Breast Augmentation in many years. THe implants should be placed where they belong during surgery and relying on pressure to pull them down is uncomfortable to the patient and does not always work.

Please, talk to your surgeon.

Incision Opening after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about your incision opening;  sometimes this does occur despite the surgeon's  and patient's  best efforts.

In regards to the use of these strap,  it would be best if  you ask your plastic surgeon what he/she recommends, given that he/she has examined you and knows her situation well.

Breast augmentation and a band

+1

Applying a band above may put undue pressure on your incision. This is a question to ask your surgeon.

Lowering implants with a band when the wound is open

+1

If the wound opening is superficial then there is no reason not to continue with the bandeau bra.  Keep the wound clean and flow up regularly with your surgeon.

Daniel Greenwald, MD