Pain and Cost - Should I Continue Being Treated by IPL?

I have Skin Type IV and been treated by IPL hair reduction in 4 sessions,with 4,6 and 8 weeks intervals(the whole body).Based on the blood tests and sonography I have done,I dont have hormonal problem or ovarian cyst.Considering suffering great pain during the sessions and the money I spend,after 4 sessions the result is like 15% hair reduction and somehow the growing hairs are finer.As the results are not what I expected,should I continue my treating or change the laser type?

IPL for hair removal may darken skin in people of color

+1

IPL for hair removal may darken skin in people of color. Even though it may have been safely used in the past it still may cause unfortunate results. A better choice is a YAG laser. Regardless, pretreatment with hydroquinone is advised.

Chicago Dermatologist

Los Angeles Hair Removal

+1

Thanks for the question.

IPL in general is not the ideal device for hair removal. A better alternative would be a diode laser. In my practice, I utliize the Lumenis Duet, which offers several advantages over more dated machines including significantly reduced treatment times and no need for topical anesthetic. My suggestion to you is to find a physician in your area that offers alternatives to IPL for hair removal.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

IPL for laser hair removal

+1

IPL is a poor device to use for laser hair removal, especially in pigmented skin. You should be looking for an Nd:Yag or Diode laser for laser hair removal to minimize discomfort and maximize results in the fewest number of treatment sessions. Make sure to see a specialist like a dermatologist for this type of laser.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin type IV and Ipl

+1

Skin Type IV is a contraindication for IPL in my opinion.

It probably hurts more because your highly pigmented skin is absorbing more energy

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Ipl hair reduction

+1

An IPL in skin type IV can work but to avoid hypo or Hyperpigmentation it has to be done carefully with less energy which means you need more treatments.  You may want to try a physician who has a Yag 1064 because the risks of pigmentation are less and you may need less treatments.  Some individuals no matter what skin type do not respond as well and need more treatments.  It sounds like it is working but not as fast as you want, you should discuss this with you doctor.

Sincerely,

Dr Gartner

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon