Can I Continue Breastfeeding (Immediately) After Breast Explantation with Capsulectomy? Diagnosis Ruptured Implant.

I have silicone implants placed in 2007. The left is ruptured, on MRI. I had my first surgery w/375 saline implants in 2003. I am currently nursing my 11 month old baby with the plan to let her self wean. We've successfully breastfed since birth, despite the absence of a milk ejection reflex in the other side. I want to get an explant/capsulectomy but want to continue nursing after the surgery. What is the risk of damage to breastfeeding anatomy/nerves with explant/capsulectomy? Please help.

+1

Very interesting question. Before you undergo this surgery, it has to be clear why would this explantation and capsulectomy have to be done now? What is the urgency. This is usually not that urgent a matter and can wait until you are through with your breast feeding. In general any surgery on the breasts should be deferred until after breast feeding if possible. Any experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will tell you the same thing.

After Breast Explantation with Capsulectomy? Diagnosis Ruptured Implant.

+1

There is not quite enough info here to make a specific recommendation. However, usually this is not an urgent situation. Depending upon how long you may wish to continue nursing, you may wish to delay your surgery. Discuss with your surgeon. All the best.