Contemplating Mommy Makeover. Am I a Candidate if I'm Not a Mom?

I've lost over 100 lbs and now have loose skin, sagging in certain areas and would like to have a mommy makeover since it seems to address my problem areas (tummy tuck, breast augmentation, etc.) The only concern I have is that I'm not a "mommy", as I've never had children before. Any advice as to whether or not I'd be a candidate for this procedure? Please advise. Thank you.

Mommy makeover for the non mom

+2

Getting a tummy tuck and breast procedure is not just for moms. Awesome job on loosing the weight!! Now you need to keep it off! Your loose skin might or might not be completely addressed with the procedures that you listed. You might require additional surgical procedures. These might include a beltectomy, bra roll excision and possible others. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who deals in cases like yours.

Good luck and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

You don't have to be a mom to get a mommy makeover

+1

Mommy Makeover is a general term for a single operation that addresses the breast, abdomen, and other areas. While common in moms, it is also common in people who have lost weight. See a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss this.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Mommy Makeover Surgery is not Reserved for Mothers Only

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Mommy makeover surgery is a custom combination of cosmetic procedures designed to address concerns caused by childbirth and pregnancy, but they are not reserved for mothers only. These types of concerns often accompany weight fluctuation, which is not limited to mothers. I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your cosmetic concerns, surgical goals, and options for surgery.

David Whiteman, MD

Is a Mommy Makeover only for Moms??

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!!   Mommy Makeover is a term used for rejuvenation of the breasts and abdomen, since these areas are most affected by the changes of pregnancy.

I frequently perform breast and abdominal procedures on patients who have incurred changes due to not only pregnancy, but aging and weight loss!!   So yes, you are a candidate and deserve to look and feel your best after your weight loss!! 

Congrats and best of luck!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Many women who are not moms are candidates for breast and tummy procedures after weight loss.

+1

Mommy makeover is just a name.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

+1

The idea behind this procedure is to combine a breast augmentation of breast lift and a tummy tuck or liposuction procedure.  You are still a potential candidate even if you have not had a child.  Consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover candidate is not a mom.

+1

The term is a catchy phrase to describe a common combination of procedures that some women will request, according to the expression, after prengancy. Usually it involves a combination of surgery to rejuvenate the abdomen and breasts, which bear most of the brunt of pregnancy and nursing.

However the skin stretching that occurs with weight gain and subsequent weight loss often closely mirrors the changes that occur in pregnancy. 

Whether you've had children or not, if you wish to improve the contour of your abdomen and breasts, and your general health is permitting, you are a candidate for some combination of procedures that would be customized to your situation.

Best wishes. Congratulations on the results of your hard work!

Body contouring surgery after significant weight loss

+1

Given the amount of weight loss you describe there is likely significant excess skin circumferentially around the torso. The tummy tuck may have to be extended toward the back and if it has to go all the way around a belt lipectomy is best. That is not a mommy makeover tummy tuck. That is surgery for excess skin after significant weight loss. They are similar but not the same unless the baby delivered weighs 100 pounds.

In the absence of photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what if any body contouring surgery you would be a candidate for. Your best is to meet with a qualified plastic surgeon face to face and if that is not possible resubmit your post with appropriate photos.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Weight loss contouring

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.   If your weight has stablized, you may be a great candidate for plastic surgery procedures to treat your excess skin.  Although technically not a mommy makeover procedure, similar procedure may be helpful.   Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Makeover after Significant Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Unfortunately, along with significant weight loss usually comes loose, sagging skin as well as loss in skin elasticity.  Pregnancy and significant weight loss have effects on the body that are similar fashion.  The mommy makeover could address your concerns regarding the tummy and breasts -- you do not have to be a mommy to have this surgery.

Visit with board certified plastic surgeons who have experience with patients who have had significant weight loss and ask to see many examples of their work.