Contemplating Dental Implants. Dentist Says All Done in One Day? Really?

Need full set. Car accident took most of the front out and pregnancy with four children took the back molars. My dentist states pulling the rest, placing the implants needed and setting whatever set I decide on....like permanent or removable will be done in one day. The only difference is that any removable will be temporary because the fit will be measured the day of and then placed a week later. Is this safe? Normal? Can it be done properly this way? No grafting needed. He measured gums and bones.

Full Set of Dental Implants

+1

If you have a sufficient bone amount for dental implant placement, it is absolutely okay to have all implants placed on the same day.  However, loading these implants on the same day with a prosthesis attached to them may increase chances of failure.  Waiting 4-6 months for healing in the upper jaw is a safe protocol.  If you are getting a temporary removable prosthesis that will not be attached to the implants, then this is a very safe route to go.  You are very fortunate that after trauma, you don't need any grafting.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Traditional procedure

+1

I believe that a dental implant must pass through the complete procedure, meaning that after placing it you need the osseointegration to take place and see the bone reaction, the natural reaction from your body. It can be done, depends on many factors such as bone density, however I believe that is important to avoid pressure over the implant just placed at least for 3 days. In my opinion, I prefer traditional procedure which is: placing the implant, get a temporary 3 days later and after 4-6 months (depends on each case) then the abutment and the crown. So there are many factors around having implant in a day and if your bone density is not the right one, then those implants could fall off or "fail". Good Luck!

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Same day teeth

+1

Hello

Same day teeth or as known 'teeth-in-a-day' concept can be a solution for some patients who meet special criteria. This must be carefully evaluated and determined by the surgeon-restorative dentist team and only done if appropriate. Otherwise, it should be done in stages for optimal success and predictability.

See link below for discussion of such criteria.

Dr. Kazemi

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

It can be done

+1

Yes, It can be done, but the situation must be right. You need good bone volume and density, otherwise they may fail. Make sure to get a cbct scan to determine if you are  candidate.

Andrew E. Rudnick, DMD
West Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Myth vs reality

+1

We hear about single day implants all the time but in reality even if the implants are placed in a day(which is normal and safe), the permanent teeth can not be placed the same day. You will be given temporary teeth for the duration of 3-4 months after which permanent teeth/caps will be placed.

For implant retained dentures ie: removable, a temorary is given for the time span of healing which is later replaced by a permanent denture with better retension.

So it can be done, but final result with a good smile takes much more than a single day.

Shivangi Gajwani Jain, MDS
India Cosmetic Dentist

Fixed vs removable

+1

Fixed teeth vs removable teeth. In either setting you leave with temporary "teeth in a day." Your final set should start to be fabricated after 2-3 months due to tissue shrinkage from healing. Otherwise you will have spaces underneath. A sensational well fitting smile isn't done in one day.

Victor Sanz, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth in a day?

+1

The short answer is yes... The long answer depends on many factors quality and quantity of bone type of implants and type of teeth supported by implants. If you asked I would prefer to place the implants allow them to stay stable for 8-12 weeks and then restore and during the healing wear transitional teeth good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant options.

+1

There are many options when it comes to full arch dental implants.  I'm outlineing a few for you here....

1) Traditional - teeth are extracted and the bone is allowed to heal.  After 2-3 months the implants are placed and a temporary denture is placed.  After 3 months the implants are restored with the final restoration which may be a fixed bridge or a removable implant attached denture.

2) Immediate load fixed - Teeth are removed, implants are placed and a fixed temporary bridge is placed the same day.  Teeth can be placed because all the implants are connected or splinted and they can't individually move. This allows for undisturbed healing 4-6 months of healing ensue.  If a removable denture is used the implants must be splinted with a bar, you can't put a removable denture on the unhealed implants even if a week after surgery.  After the healing period a final definative bridge is inserted on the implants.

3) "Teeth-on-a-day" - after rigorous planning, teeth are removed and implants placed with position compensating connections.  The final bridge is then inserted.  The problem with this method is that minute surgical errors are compensated on by using components that are not as sturdy as in traditional treatment.

Last point, there is nothing in dentistry that should in any whay be defined as "permanent".

Hope this helps,

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist