Using Contacts and Latisse After Blepharoplasty?

I am 50 years old and having Blepharoplasty done under local anesthesia (upper lids only - fat and skin removal). I am using Latisse and wear contacts daily as I have very poor eyesight.

How long will I have to wait before I can begin to wear my contacts again? And how long before I can begin to use Latisse after my surgery?

Two weeks

+1

Contacts can be used again after a blepharoplasty after approximately two weeks. The eyelids and the eyeballs are swollen in the postoperative phase for that period of time. Latisse is acceptable to start using two weeks after the surgery as well.

Contacts and Latisse with Blepharoplasty

+1

Suzi,

I have my patients wait 7 days before resuming the use of contacts. The reasons include

1. Your eyes may be more dry for a short time after the procedure

2. Swelling of the upper eyelid may dislodge the contact

3. You may disrupt the sutures when attempting to place the contact

Latisse may occasionally cause irritation of the skin when applied to the base of the eyelash. Because of post-procedure inflammation, your skin may be more susceptible. I would wait 2 weeks until the bruising and swelling have completely resolved; and the incision line has had time to heal.

Michael Baroody, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Trust your surgeon's opinion

+1

First off, ask your surgeon what he/she thinks, and adhere to their opinion. I think contacts can be comfortably placed at about one week -- a little tender before that. Latisse, maybe three weeks to avoid irritation. Both could be used sooner if your surgeon thinks so.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Wait a week to 10 days before wearing contacts after Blepharoplasty

+1

After upper blepharoplasty eyelid closure is less effective than normal for the firts week or so. This can often lead to dry eye which is why we use lubrication after eyelid surgery.

I ask my patients to wear glasses for the first week or so until I am sure eyelid closure is normal and the eye is not dry.

If dryness is a problem, the contacts can make it worse.

See before and after photos of upper and lower laser Blepharoplasty.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

You may be able to wear contacts during & after blepharoplasty

+1

Hi Suzi,

If you are wearing extended wear soft contacts and you are planning only upper blepharoplasty, there is an option to maximize your vision during the postop period.

Removing and placing the lenses daily after a blepharoplasty carries some risk for the healing incisions, and so it may be better to wear your soft lenses extended-wear for a week after your surgery. Check with your surgeon if he or she feels comfortable supervising and monitoring this option. I would suggest wearing a new set of lenses the day of surgery, and keep them in until your postop week 1 visit. There are a few risks involved that you can discuss with your surgeon, but in general, it is a relatively safe way to keep your corrected vision intact during the healing period. In fact, some surgeons routinely place extended wear soft contact lenses during certain blepharoplasty and ptosis (droopy eyelid) surgeries to maximize comfort during the healing process.

Best wishes to you.

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

See what your surgeon recommends

+1

Suzi,

The best advice would come from the surgeon performing your surgery. Ask him or her.

You want to be following the advice of the person doing your surgery. That way, if any questions or problems come up afterwards, you are already communicating with the individual who knows the most about your procedure and whom you've trusted to operate on you.

Having said that, contacts might not fit well for a little while after your procedure because of the swelling, and you'll most certainly want to give the incisions a few weeks to heal before starting back on the Latisse.

Good luck!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and Resuming Wearing Contacts, Using Latisse

+1

Hi Suzi,

After blepharoplasty (upper lids only), I allow patients to wear contacts again after 7 to 10 days.  I would wait about 2 weeks to resume Latisse, and stop if you have any skin irritation or redness.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD