Contact Dermatitis with exterior splint Rhinoplasty?

I get contact dermatitis with any surgical tape even hypoallergenic. I will have a raised painful red area within a day outlined exactly where the tape was and skin discoloration as it heals. How can they apply a splint after open rhinoplasty without this occurring? Tip of nose reduction and nasal bones will be broken to narrow nasal bridge. I am afraid of what the splint will do to my skin. Are there alternative splints that address this problem?

+2

Allergy testing or avoidance of tape or adhesive may be appropriate.

Rhinoplasty and tape dermatitis

+2

You are not allergic to the splint, but rather the adhesive of the underlying tape.It is certainly a problem if you are sensitive to all adhesives. I would suggest having your surgeon try using different tapes and adhesives on your forearm to see if there is anything you can tolerate. You could also try taking something like a steroid pack or Benadryl while to tape is in place--if you can get at least 5 days out of it--that would probably be OK.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermatitis after rhinoplasty

+2

I have seen this problem several times in my practice. Your allergy may be due to the tape under the splint or one of the compounds we use to keep the tape on, ( usually benzoin or mastisol). If someone presents with this history before rhinoplasty we have them come to the office a month before surgery and perform an allergy test. We apply different combinations of tape and mastisol or benzoin on their arm and then assess the reaction after two weeks. We can almost always find a combination that is well tolerated and can prevent dermatitis under the splint. I would discuss this with your doctor. Good luck.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon