Received Differing Opinions on Whether or Not I'll Need Lift Along with Breast Implants (photo)

I have consulted with 3 plastic surgeons regarding a breast augmentation and 'lift". 2 of the 3 surgeons feel that the augmentation alone will provide adequate lift but the 3rd feels that I will need the lollipop lift in conjuntion with the augmentation. How do I know who is right. How do I know whether or not I am a candidate for the lollipop lift? I am keen to avoid the scarring caused by the lollipop lift. Would the weight of the implant result in more droop without the lollipop lift?

Editor's Note: Photo added

Please attach pictures

+2

It is hard to give god answer without examination and pictures. You may be have a borderline ptosis and further evaluation is needed. I would suggest that you send pictures or do the augmentatin only and if you need lift,do it as a second stage.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lift or just implants

+1

With the one photos it looks like your breasts are a bit low and you probably could benefit froma a lift.

Breast augmentation with or without a lift

+1

After reviewing your photos, I would tell you that in my opinion, you could go either way, and none of the plastic surgeons that you have consulted with are wrong.  Your nipple is still above the level of your infra-mammary fold, so having implants alone will give you a nice result.  However, I tell all of my patients that I decide on whether or not a lift will improve their results according to the end result that the patient is looking for and will be satisfied with.  If you are seeking very perky breasts with your nipple centered on your breast mound, and your breasts high on your chest wall, the lift will better help you to achieve this result.  If you are looking for a more natural, sloping breast, you will get a very nice result without the lift.  I hope that this helps you!  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Forewarned is Forearmed: Consider staging breast implants and lift if on the fence

+1

There is no way to control scarring and certainly no way to predict your ultimate outcome. IF your primary concern is the scars, I would advise that you have the implants placed first and then consider a lift if you are unhappy with the results. IF any surgeon is advising a lift, you must have some degree of ptosis (sag), therefore you may eventually require a lift. Forewarned is Forearmed.

Breast Augmentation With OR Without a Breast Lift

+1

Without photographs it is impossible to begin to advise you on which way to go in your dilemma between Breast Augmentation With OR Without a Breast Lift.

The simplest way of looking at it is answering ; Are you happy with the SIZE of your Breasts? If you are, then you do NOT need implants. Breast Implants increase breast volume and weight leading to subsequent sagging after the breast skin has stretched out. If you are NOT happy and would like further volume, then you and your surgeon need to pick a suitable implant and perform an Augmentation / Lift.

Be aware that most bad results happen when surgeons are forced to "run around their backhands" and futilely try to avoid scars by putting in large implants when a Breast Lift was the proper solution. I would tell the surgeon you want the absolute best and longest-lasting result, scars or no scars. What would he suggest under THAT scenario? Only then they may give you the honest answer.

Breast Lift, Implants, or Both?

+1

The best thing to do is look at photos of patients who have breasts similar to yours and see the results after the various procedures.  The extra scarring may not be worth the results...but beware of any surgeon who claims they can "uplift" your breasts in any way by using implants alone.  It's not possible, and the implants actually stretch the breasts lower over time.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implants with or without breast lift

+1

To perk up a drooping breast, your surgeon will remove excess skin, reposition the nipple, and redrape and tighten the remaining skin to support the breast. The areola may also be reduced in size. A mastopexy (breast lift) raises droopy breasts from one to several inches and excess skin is removed. If you're sagging or asymmetrical, and are looking for perkiness, you'll need a lift--or, if you also want more volume, a lift and implants.

When women with saggy breasts want to go bigger, I usually advise doing a breast lift along with the implants. Otherwise, the implants create what we call a “double bubble,” where the breast droops off the end of the implant like a sock. Some of my patients, however, don’t want a lift because they want to avoid additional scarring, so sometimes implants alone can fill out the skin and eliminate the saggy appearance.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD