Had 3 Consultations for Rhinoplasty and Narrowed my Choice to Two Doctors.Which One Should I Choose?

One,has 7 years of experience and HE IS facial board certified and his portfolio in terms of post-op pictures,customer care,online reviews is flawless (i can onestly tell he knows how to marketing himself).The other doctor is the head of the plastic surgery division and professor of my university (school of medicine),with 25yrs of experience and impressive CV.But HE IS NOT facial board certified and besides rhino he performs also tummy tuck,breast augmentation etc. Which one should i choose?

Choosing a surgeon

+2

It seems you had two consultations with physicians in two different specialties, plastic surgery ans otolaryngology (or ENT). Both specialties have training in rhinoplasty and, not surprisingly, each specialty claims to be better at it than the other.  The truth is that both specialties have doctors who do rhinoplasty well and some not so much.  I think you should base your decision on which doctor you think does better work based on your experience in your consultations, referrals and reputation, as well as checking out their photos.  

Choosing a surgeon

+1

Board certification is not the number one criteria. Choose the surgeon who is experienced and expert while remaining passionate about the surgery with the best understanding of your objectives/needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Choosing surgeon

+1

Concern yourself less about their board certification and more about the results, and number of rhinoplasty procedures each performs.  I am a facial ps but I can tell you that there are many non-facial ps who do a great rhinoplasty and there are many facial ps that do a poor rhinoplasty

Sam Naficy, MD

What makes a plastic surgeon

+1

Plastic surgeons, unlike facial plastic surgeons, are trained to work on nearly every part of the body not just the face. This includes extensive training in the face and the nose, especially at 25 years of practice and as the chief of a university plastic surgery division. I would not be concerned about the credentials of either surgeon to perform a rhinoplasty, but rather would choose whomever you felt more comfortable with. Good luck! Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

A plastic surgeon does the face as well as the body.  You should go with the one you feel most comfortable with.  Good luck.

Choosing rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1
It sounds like you may have narrowed it down to two good choices. Training, experience, and artistic style are all factors to consider in making your choice. Rhinoplasty is a unique procedure which requires dedication to it's own art form to become a true expert. I would choose a surgeon who has a practice focusing on rhinoplasty and performs over 100 procedures a year. You should also make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon and their surgical plan.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty choices

+1

In my opinion, while training is important, the real question is whether the doctors you have chosen spend the majority of their practices doing rhinoplasty. I know excellent rhinoplasty surgeons, both facial plastics and plastics. The reason they are such good surgeons is because their main interest is rhinoplasty, not because of titles, or training.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which Doctor Should I Choose for Rhinoplasty

+1

The difference between the doctors training is that one has chosen to do only surgery of the face and the other has chosen broader training. That has nothing to do with either of their skills in rhinoplasty. And sometimes doctors will choose to advertise and market themselves more heavily because they need the business. Others don't need the business but market themselves anyway. I think you should rely on your feeling of how well you can get along with the surgeon assuming the results of their rhinoplasties are equally satisfactory in your opinion.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Surgeons with advanced training in Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology both can specialize in rhinoplasty.  Training and board certification in and of itself does not necessarily make a good rhinoplasty surgeon.  I believe Rhinoplasty is unique because it requires a high level of artistic talent that can not be taught.   My recommendation would be to review at least 50 before and after so you can adequately judge their work. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Which surgeon to go to for a rhinoplasty?

+1

There are turf wars in rhinoplasty, breast surgery, and other surgeries. If you ask an ENT surgeon they will say "go to an ENT surgeon" and if you ask a plastic surgeon they will say "go to a plastic surgeon". The fact is, it's not the specialty that's important, it's the surgeon that's important. Both surgeon types can be great rhinoplasty surgeons.

From what I see about the facial plastic surgery board, to get membership your plastic surgeon only need apply and sit an exam and he would be accepted. So, it really means nothing as far as I can tell (I'm based in the UK where a surgeon is either a plastic surgeon or an ENT surgeon, and "facial plastic surgery" is just a made up qualification that anyone can use)

Taimur Shoaib, MD
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon