Can I make a consultation for Rhinoplasty without parents knowing?

Considering rhinoplasty: I want to talk to a surgeon at least to look at my options. Can this be done without a parent? I want to get a procedure done as soon as possible, hopefully next summer. I don't want to get my parents involved. I'm a 19 year-old boy and want to be a self-directed person in life, and care about my aesthetics. 

You are of legal age for a rhinoplasty consultation

+1
As a 19 year old male you are of legal age for an independent consultation for a rhinoplasty procedure. If you wish to proceed however, I would inform your parents of your intentions beforehand. Seek out a board certified surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty for your consult.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty over 18 years of age

+1
In the USA, 19 years of age is considered to be an independent age of consent, meaning that you have rights to privacy with your health care and your appointments.  Unless you decide to tell your parents, no doctor or staff member at the doctor's office is permitted by law to discuss your care with anyone (including your parents) without your express permission.  The exceptions to this rule involve insurance companies, other doctors involved in your care, and law enforcement (with proper warrants).

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate at age 19

+1
At age 19, you're considered an adult and can make your own decisions. That said, it  is still a good idea to  consult your parents so that they can help you make the right decisions and  help you find the right surgeon for your proposed surgery

+1
At your age it is perfectly legal to seek medical care and make your own decisions regarding that care. But being a parent, I think you should at least discuss these things with your parents at some point.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1
Yes, this is perfectly fine. You're an adult at 19 years old and can make your own decisions. With that said, if you decide to move forward with surgery, you really should involve your parents to some degree. They care for your dearly and should at least be aware of your decision to pursue rhinoplasty surgery. However, if you're looking for an informational consult you can do so without involving your parents. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes, you are able to have a medical consultation at age 19, without your parents knowledge or permission.

+1
Since you are older than 18, you are considered an adult from the viewpoint of medical care. You do not need your parents permission to have a  private consultation.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
If you are over 18 you can see an MD without parental permission and that consultation would remain confidential

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

+1
The short answer is yes, after age 18 all medical information is personal and private and cannot be shared without your permission. After your rhinoplasty do you think they will notice?

+1
In the United State, at the age of 18 you can make your own decisions regarding your medical care.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD